Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What happens when you need to file a legitimate complaint, but are told, "You're already at the top!"

My HP Envy Touchsmart has been shipped off for repair (under warranty) twice now.  First time video went out, second time sound went out.  After receiving it back a week ago from a Motherboard replacement, it came back from HP Repair broke!  A plastic cover on the back was broke, PLUS... when the computer was turned on, it could not detect the harddrive, I called the repair center and they had me take it apart and we discovered that they also forgot to attach the harddrive back onto the computer!  The screw was just hanging.  This caused the SATA cable to get pulled and HP determined it was now damaged.

So rather than send it back a third time, I was told that they will replace it.  Because computers change, they sent me a proposal 7 days ago for a new one and it's specs, but I was told by my case manager not to accept it if there was anything I did not agree with, so they could make adjustments to the proposal.  I did have an issue with something with the video card specs, so I emailed her and explained why.  She told me that she would send me another proposal that should suit me better.

A week has gone by and nothing!  For the past 5-6 days I have sent appproximately a dozen emails, at least 7 or more phone calls (sometimes twice a day) and I'm always told my case manager is not available, but she will return my call.  Days have gone by and I have spoke to 5 differnet case managers and none of them can explain why she will not contact me back.  I have explained over and over, at the very least I just want her to tell me she is working on it, or give me an estimate on time, or whatever the hold up is.  But I can't even get an aknowledgement that anybody is working on my case!

Today I was told by someone that my case manager is scheduled to call me at 5pm.  I was relieved, until that time came and went.  I called back and was told she is gone for the day, and AGAIN... they say they will tell her to call me.

The last person I spoked to today actually made it sound like it was my fault for not accepting the proposal I was sent a week ago!  Remember, not only is this a defective computer under warranty, but HP themselves did more damage to it!!  And they have the nerve to ignore me and take their own sweet time!  I am a very patient, reasonable person, but my biggest pet peeve is a lack of communication.  And it's such a simple thing to do!

I was also told by the last person I spoke to that my case manager is probably just busy with other cases.  That is no excuse!  I never demanded a new computer instantly or overnight... all I've been asking for is communication!  How long does it take to send an email saying.... "I'm so sorry.  We have not forgot about you and are working hard to create a new proposal.  Please give me another day or two."...  It took me seconds to type that... and I would have been happy enough.  Again... no excuse for a lack of communication to your customers.

So today I asked to speak to a boss or a manager or to get a phone number to the HP complaint department, because if they keep following this same pattern, I could be told "we will leave her a message to call you" everyday this week, and the next week, etc.  It may never end.  He told me, "This is it, you are at the top and there is nobody else to speak to."  In other words... "You are at our mercy, we'll help you when we feel like it!".

So if this is the way you are treated (ignored, broken promises of returned phone calls, etc.) at HP's top customer complaints department, I guess the only power left is the customers freedom of speech to let others know what is going on at HP, including the BBB and possibly {Content Removed}.

Buyer Beware!

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Chad,  welcome to the forum.

I have asked for help for  you.  I hope by now or soon you should get it solved.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Thank you for your help! After almost a week of no communication, my case manager emailed me this morning and said she would have a proposal for me today. Didn't happen of course! Her shift is now over and it's another promise broken. I shouldn't be surprised.
HP Recommended

you have to try support. they are more interested in selling you an extended warranty than solve your problems.

I have been with customer escalations team and promises of people calling. never happens.

support does not understand the new bios. reinstall to factory settings is common.

Larry

HP Recommended

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comments.  I know what you mean.  For every problem I have had (Graphics card went out on one occassion, audio/motherboard went out on another, now came back from HP repair needing more repairs), and on most occasions tech support's favorite solution is to reinstall to factory settings.  It is a nightmare having to start from scratch and reinstall everything... hours/days of work.  But they will not even think about allowing a technician to look at it until this step is done.  HP has made me do this at least 3 times over the past few months, and each time it did not resolve anything and still had to be shipped off for repair.

I have been very patient up to a point.  But I have had to vent a little to whomever answers the phone at customer escalations and try to get it through to them to quick making excuses for why their customers are not getting responses.

From October 1st - Oct. 7th, I have a total of 8 emails I sent my case manager.  Most were just a sentence or two begging her to let me know the status of my replacement proposal.  Not once, in that entire timeframe did my case manager contact me.  The emails are just part of it.  I have 6-7 calls I made in that time, talking to multiple reps who just keep taking my messages saying she will call me back shortly (or the next day).

When my case manager finally emailed me today, she never apologized once for taking a week to return all my emails and phone calls.  It came across like it was MY fault...

"I have been researching a replacement for your PC. You have indicated that the replacement proposal I sent you was not going to work so I have gone back to the drawing board to try and resolve this. I will have to replace your PC with an equivalent of your current PC and I will not be able to add any other components. I will email you another proposal later today."

I told every rep I talked to, all I ask for is communication!  I just want my case manager to tell me she is working on it and a ballpark to how much longer it will take.  How long does it take to return a customers message?  Each and every one should be answered, no matter how big or small the question is.

I the only reason a did not say "YES" to the proposal is because I had just 2 questions I needed answered:

ONE:  "The specs say that this new computer has 8gb RAM (1 DIMM).  Does this mean it only has one available DIMM slot, or the 8GB is only using one of 2 DIMMS?  Because my current computer has 2 DIMMS, each with 8GB memory (I purchased separately) and I need to make sure I have 2 DIMMS also in my new computer."

Is that not a reasonable question/concern about the replacement proposal???  Was that questioned ever answered... NO!  To this day, it has never been answered.

TWO: "When I orginally purchased this PC, when I was choosing my graphics card, I clicked on "Help me choose".  The description stated this: "FEATURES: dedicated memory, DVI, (VGA via dongle), HDMI capabilities, and support for [Blu-ray,] Microsoft® DirectX® 11, and one or two monitors."  I know this exact wording because it is still on the HP shopping site.  From this description, I am understanding that there is at least a DVI output, possible an HDMI output, and support for 2 monitors.  There was never any outputs included on my computer.  So to fix this, the case manager said she added an HDMI game console to the computer so I could hook up an extra monitor.  However, I had to explain to her, that the HP shopping cart cleary states this is an INPUT ONLY.  Meaning it is only to hook up a game console (like an Xbox) to use the monitor of the Touchsmart computer.  It does not output video to another monitor.

So I even had to correct an HP rep as to what their own products do or don't do.  When I brought this out to my case manager... her response... NOTHING!  I still have not received any feedback on this.

Based on these two very legitimate concerns, why would I, or anyone, accept a proposal before these questions were answered??  I never actually rejected the proposal... at bare minimum, I needed these questions answered first.  But now I am being treated as though it's my fault this is taking so long.  Yesterday, I was told by a guy from that office that he sees that I was already sent a proposal and because I rejected it, that is why this is taking so long.  Again, like it was my fault!

As you can see from my case managers response today, absolutely no regrets that she hasn't returned any of my messages or phone calls.  She didn't feel the least bit bad.  And again, basically I am to blame, because I had 2 questions nobody bothered to answer.  To top it off, she tells me she will send me a new proposal today and she didn't.

I am FULLY under warranty!  I have every right to want my PC fixed or replaced in a reasonable time, and at the very least... constant updates and communication!  To top it off... HP themselves damaged my computer even more!!  Why would they not do everything in their power to make sure that this extreme case would be dealt with in the most timely and generous manner possible?  Not to mention... even after waiting for a proposal, you still have to wait for the computer to be built and shipped, which can easily be another couple weeks! 

I am telling my story here so others can hear my voice since HP has shown little concern to make things right.  The sad thing is... I wouldn't even be here if they even cared to send me a little note or phone call once in a while letting me know the progress or delay.  Instead I am being punished for not excepting their first proposal.  And what a coincidence that the first proposal was completed the first day they determined it needed replaced, but now over a week and still nothing new.  In one sentence I am told that she has had to "go back to the drawing board", yet another sentence says, "the replacement will be equivelant and no other components can be added".  These 2 statement contridict themselves.  And it takes an extra week for that?

And I never asked for anything extra, I just wanted to make sure it had 2 DIMMS (like my current PC, the proposal said 1 DIMM) and I wanted to know why my current PC never had the outputs HP described for my current graphics card.  I never addressed this issue when I first go my PC because I did not want to deal with it.  So I just brought up the question now that I'm forced to deal with everything anyway.   But again, no answer, no explanation.

It's a sick feeling to be in desparate need of a computer for your work and then to be at the mercy of a company that will barely give you the time of day and are dragging their feet showing no concern about making their defective product right!  But it's even a sicker feeling when you ask to speak to a supervisor or another department and are told, "This is the complaint department... there is nobody above us."  That's what I was told by a guy taking my message from Customer Escalations yesterday.  I feel helpless.  Another day without my work computer (my ONLY one).  Another day being told my email/call would be returned.  Another day with no proposal.

I am glad this forum has seemed to gain some attention through a couple private messages.  I can only hope that they have some sort of connections to deal with an unexcusable excuse for customer service and make things right for me ASAP.  I'm tired of playing games and others need to know what is going on.

Apparently Larry, I'm not the only one who has dealt with this kind of poor treatment.  That is amazing that this is happening to others.  There has to be somebody "higher up" that will hear this... I hope.

Thanks again for hearing me out.

HP Recommended

Good morning Old Geekster;

I have been with the compters since the 60's. IBM big mainframes. Never would you see servie like this.

I was on this forum for " changing the boot sequence " I have a HP23 F20 touchsmart. I spent days sending

emails back and forth with the so called Customer Escalations Team. Jeff was the one contact. I got one phone call to introduce herself and then never could reach her again. Richard was another great listener but could not solve anything. I finally got everything resolved to my satisfaction over on the Windows 8 forum.

Since my last blistering satisfaction survey and telling it like it really is I haven't received anything from HP.

I got this system right after returning a ASUS system just like it. cost over 900 dollars and a tech support from India said that if I upgraded the installed windows 8 basic to Pro that it would void the warranty! I told him it would be back to Wal Mart in two days as I still had the box it came in.

thus out of the pan and into the fire with the problems I am having or had with HP.

Larry

HP Recommended

Just when I thought things could not get much worse...

After waiting over a week for an ammended proposal, I just received my second proposal.  And I don't know whether to rip my hair out or just laugh from insanity.

It was the EXACT SAME SPECS as the first one!! Not a single difference!

Just a couple hours ago, before my case manager sent this new proposal, I emailed her to tell her I filed a complaint with the BBB.  I explained to her, AGAIN, why I did not accept the first proposal.  I reminded her that her first proposal stated it had 1 DIMM for RAM.  The computer I purchased has 2 DIMMS.  I asked her why a simple question/concern like this, which I asked 9 days ago, still remains unanswered or ammended in the proposal.

Again... did she answer my question?  NOPE!  Just sends me an exact replica of the proposal she sent 9 days ago, which still says 1 DIMM.  So it took 9 days, which according to her email yesterday, "I have had to go back to the drawing board."  And that is why it has taken so long to come up with a new proposal.

What a slap in the face!  Not to mention... not a single word that answers my question about the number of DIMM's on this new unit.  The one I purchased has 2, so I want 2!!!  And if it truly does have 2 DIMM's, confirm this with me!  Because the proposal says it has 1 DIMM.

Just think... this is the highest customer service dept at HP!  Who trains these people and holds them accountable??!!

HP Recommended

chad 958 not sure what system you actually have. my system has slots for two dimm's but only has memory in one. I have 4 gig and I can add 4 if i choose to. then the next step would be to add 8 in one and then add the

second one later of 8 to bring the system to max at 16gig.

Regardless she should be able to answer a simple question like that.

after venting my frustrations this morning and mentioning Richard at customer escalations guess who called me today and said he had been busy. LOL

Larry

HP Recommended

Larry,

It is a HP ENVY 23-d250xt TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC.  The specs she gave me say:

8GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM Memory [1 DIMM]

And you got my point exactly... It would be a simple question for HP to answer, but they won't confirm it.  Like you said, there is a chance it just means the 8GB is only using 1 DIMM slot out of 2.  But why should I have to take that chance.  I was told... DO NOT accept this proposal if there are any questions/issues with these specs because it is too late once you say, "YES".

So I ask for clarification and it's ignored.  I ask again, and not only is it ignored, I am sent the same proposal as last time, even after being told she has been working on it all week from scratch.

Now I am faced with a dilemma.  Do I cut my loses and just accept this proposal?  OR do I stick to my guns and demand answers and let the BBB see if they can get through to them that there are consequences to treating customers like this?  I want them to have to answer for their incompetence so they do not allow this to happen to others, because obviously this is not an isolated incidence.

I guess I'll sleep on it.  I'm so exhausted.

HP Recommended

Good morning chad958 yes it is just like mine. Mine has slots A and B but only one 4gig memory chip.

yours should be the same but they have 8gig of memory in it. If you would upgrade later to say 12gig then

you probably would have to buy two 6gig chips. however the smart way would be to move to 16gig.

I am at 4 and plan to double it to 8gig.

Looking at the specs on your machine they do explain it and the various config. of memory that it can be

configured with.

Keep up the studies and grades.

Larry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.