Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27-p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own an HP ENVY all in one computer (model 27-po14).  I attempted to install Pinnacle Studio 10 version 8 on this computer, which I had been using successfully on my old Pentium IV computer.  When the installation was complete, the computer would not recognize either of the two external blu-ray drives plugged into its USB ports. In order to correct this problem, I began to follow the instructions on Microsoft’s website.  Their first instruction was to bring up the BIOS screen to see of the BIOS recognized the drives.  The first step was to turn the computer completely off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.  I did this and the computer shut down as expected.  HOWEVER, when I attempted to turn it back on, there was no response.  It acted as though it was not connected to power.  The LED beside the power jack is lit, so power is being applied.  I even unplugged the power cord from the computer and checked the voltage with a multimeter. It measured 20 VDC.  How can I revive this computer?  Please help.  The computer is about 3 months beyond the one year warranty.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jimwaits, welcome to the forum.

I have to wonder if the fact that you installed Pinnacle and the computer doesn't boot is only coincicental.  It could be that one of the components was ready to fail and it picked this time to do it.  It wouldn't be the first time that I have heard of this happening.

Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

After trying various things to revive this computer, as a last resort I tried removing the BIOS battery.  Replacing the battery solved the problem.  I measured the old battery with a multimeter and it read 3 volts as it should.  Apparently removing the battery allowed the BIOS to reset, thus removing a parameter that was preventing the computer from turning on.  I suppose that installing a legacy program that was incompatible with Windows 10 messed up something in the BIOS.  Anyhow all is well now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.