Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion p6-2170a boots terribly slowly since upgrading to Windows 8.1 (anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes, average is seven minutes!)

I spent a lot of time analysing the reason and I am almost 100% convinced it's got to do with the UEFI based SecureBoot.  My other Pavilion (different model, p6130a, Boston 1.0 board, Phoenix BIOS) boots in seconds.  The boot mode is set to UEFI on the slow box, the fast one is set to BIOS.

What I am trying to do is to convert my box to BIOS boot mode, but here is my problem:

1. the current BIOS boot order is set to:

- UEFI (1st Windows boot manager, 2nd HD, 3rd DVD)

- Legacy boot options (1st HD, 2nd DVD)

2. when I try to disable all UEFI boot options, or disable just the Windows boot manager,  I get a 'can not find a bootable disk' error.

... I can NOT boot using just the Legacy boot option!

Does anyone know how to configure my box to ignore UEFI and just boot in BIOS mode?

Here is my stack:

- Windows 8.1 Enterprise, x64 (build 9600)

- Pegatron 2AC2 2.00 main board

- UEFI AMI: 7.19 04/02/2012

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I doubt that the issue has anything to do with the UEFI.

I took a look at the available drivers and I notice that there are none available for Windows 8.1.  You may have to revert to Windows 8 to regain performance.

You can analyze the boot performance if you want to see the cause.  In your case I highly suspect it is a drivers issue. You are unlikely to see that in a boot  analysis, since an analysis assumes the correct drivers have been installed. You can try it if you want.

Which antivirus program are you using? 

There is probabably an application (or two) that causes the boot time to increase dramatically .

You might consider downloading the Windows desktop risk and analysis toolkit for Windows 8.1 update. There are two utilities included that are very helpful, called Xperf and Xbootmgr, that will enable you to analyze the boot process.  Of course I have no idea as to how high your level of knowlege of operating systems is. 

utility for analyzing slow boot

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, appreciate your response, but do have an answer to my actual question?

HP Recommended

That actually is an answer. Your desktop PC has a modern UEFI BIOS. You can enter the BIOS and enable legacy boot, but your PC may not boot into the Windows operating system because of the way Windows was installed.  Once you do that, you will also have to select the hard disk as the first or second item in the Legacy Boot source list.

legacy boot.png

legacy boot2.png

Don't forget to save the change after you make it. Good luck.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.