Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion t000 which was last used about 2 years ago and last time it was used it worked fine.  However, have just set it all up again and am now finding that when I boot it up with the LG monitor switched on I am seeing nothing whatsoever on the screen, after a few seconds all I see on the screen is "power saving mode" and the light on the front of the monitor turns from green to amber colour.  I have checked to connections over and over and have connected the same monitor to my laptop and it works fine.    I have switched on the speakers and it does not beep or anything which may show there is a problem, so on face value it appears to be working fine I just cannot get anything on the monitor.  Can anyone help me as I am mystified what else to do now.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The description you have given sounds like your video solution (a  GeForce4-MX420 chip) on the motherboard isn't working.

I suggest finding a second hand PCI or AGP video card and installing it for troubleshooting purposes. Since it is an older PC, finding components in a second hand environment is far more cost effective. 

Connect the video card to the monitor and boot it up.

Keep us updated by posting your results here.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Can you give me some instructions as to how I do this as I haven't a clue?

HP Recommended

There are plenty of videos on YoutTube and on the net describing how to do that. I couldn't find one that showed upgrading your Pavilion  t000 desktop specifically.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have taken various bits that look like this out of a Dell computer that was dead, do you think that if I work out which bit is the video card that this would work in this PC?

HP Recommended

OK I am going down the road of checking out the video card.  I have got the side panel off but now I am faced with this and I cannot see how to get all this metal off to get to what I need to.  Help please?IMG_0276[2].jpg

HP Recommended

Have now removed the video card and put it back in again and still the same problem!!!!!!!!  Any more suggestions????

HP Recommended

This may be a silly question, but did you perhaps plug the display cable into the wrong place? If you did, it is no big deal. It happens to many people who are not accustomed to setting up a desktop PC relatively frequently.

The way your desktop PC's graphics work, is that if there is a video card installed, then the rear I\O ports from the motherboard are disabled. Many peple are not aware of that.

If a PC has onboard graphics there will be a place in the back to connect a monitor. If a PC has built in graphics and a video card there will be two different places to connect a monitor or display cable. 

I will find an image for you so you can see what I mean.

Rear I\O ports. These are on the motherboard, but seen at the rear of your desktop PC.

rear ports.png

#2 and #3 are onboard video headers where you would cononect a display or monitor's cable.  The video card would have headers that look like # 2 or #3 but they would be to the right and displaced by ninety degrees.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.