Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i did try to get rid of the icon from the left side list and it did go 'poof'

but the icon on the desktop still remains.

i tried to get rid of it on the PC side, which was successful

but when i get back into the Mac side, there it is again!! 

anyone knows how to get rid of it???

HP Recommended

Yep, same problem here.  Apparently the SimpleSave product has that phantom CD drive hard-wired into the product -- it's not a disk partition.  It's bad form, I think, and pretty maddening, because they don't bother to mention that fact either on the packaging or in the extremely minimal documentation they supply.  Grr!

HP Recommended

Can you please give me instructions on how to reformat simple save so that it will work on my Mac laptop?

HP Recommended

Hello !!

Has anyone found a solution yet for getting rid of this blasted HP Launcher virtual CD on the MAC desktop? It is really bugging me - I know WD has a workaround for their similarly fascist formatting, but c'mon HP - get with the program!

HP Recommended

Just open up a terminal screen (Application/utilities/Terminal or iTerm for those that have it) and enter this command:

diskutil unmount "/Volumes/HP Launcher"

If you want to get fancy, you can create an AppleScript and paste that line into it. Then Save that script as an "application" (an option on saving) and then open up the systems prefs-->users-->login items and select that applescript app to run at login. Then put the app in the dock to run if you plug in the drive without logging in again.

You can also create a crontab to run that command every minute, 5 min, whenever to automatically remove the HP DVD icon if you plug it in while your system is running. Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the instructions - unforrtunately I am having no success - do i need to replace the information in quotations with something specific to my computer? Neither of these is working. This also feels like a workaround - would prefer something, well, cleaner!

HP Recommended

thank you, gryphontech

it worked when i tried using terminal,

but no luck with the applescript...

would you please provide a little more detail on how to do this?

or is there somewhere i can read up on how to do this...

thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Eric,

Can you please provide some detailed instructions on reformatting the disk using disk utility in Mac. I am kind of new to Mac and wanted to know what settings to choose while Erasing?

Much appreciated..

HP Recommended

I formatted this HPSimpleSave using Disk utility HFS journalled method and I am able to use it to copy data to it from my Mac. This external HDD is now not recognized by windows 7? Any clues why?

I thought HFS + journalled formatting works with windows as well.

HP Recommended

I just bought a HP Simple Save to use on my Macbook Pro but I was also hoping to use it with my PC. Once I format it for Mac will I be able to switch back and forth? Also, if I save docs from my PC first, will they be erased when I do the Mac formatting?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.