Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My monitor, after the 3-5 second warmup, displays the information box with the input signal and resolution information superimposed over the video picture

for a period of approx. one second, and then goes blank. It has worked normally for 9 months. This occurs using either the VGA or HDMI input. Any ideas of

what to do besides throwing it away? 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Jim, throw it through a window! Smiley Happy  I suggest updating the monitor driver.  Here is a link to "Using and Adjusting Your Monitor", which has some steps that I suggest you follow to see if one of them may solve your problem:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00850059

You can find the monitor driver here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3543988〈=en&

Choose your OS and click on it.  There you will find the monitor driver.  I would uninstall the existing driver and reinstall it. 

Message Edited by old_geekster on 09-29-2009 08:33 PM

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Thanks for the fast response! I'd rather not use the "out the window" option, but it might be my only choice. New drivers won't work, since I am using the monitor as a HD TV, feeding it a HDMI signal from DirectTV (I found this a money saver vs buying a HD TV). Any other idea?
HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing.   Unfortunately, i bought this monitor despite having many problems with HP products in the past....just more of the same.  Meanwhile, my 8 year old Samsung monitor works fine.....I've tried updating the driver too, but it hasn't worked.

HP Recommended

Same problem here.

I am a long time HP user (entire product range - including server systems), but this is the end.

I leave behind me:

2 toasted (dead by overheating) HP laptops

1 HP desktop running constantly at 80 Db

1 HP LCD monitor that goes blank after 1 sec

They all parished recently and sadly none of the deceased reached an age above 3 years

R.I.P

HP Recommended

Hi,

Go into the monitor's Menu----> Management------> Mode Display ---> set it to OFF   After this set, be sure to Save and return.

Then go into the monitor's menu ---> Management --> Power On Display Status >  set it to off.  After this set, be sure to Save and return.

Once the above two steps are done, then turn the monitor off, wait a bit and then turn it back on.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Big Dave

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately I am unable to try your solution, because the monitor goes blank after 1 sec.

There is no response when pressing the Menu key on the monitor.

There is also no response pressing the key for more than 10 secs (Menu Lock/unlock).

There is no response pressing any other key on the monitors front panel

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try a monitor reset. Unplug the monitor’s power cord and hold down the monitor’s power button for 30-60 seconds. Plug the monitor back in and power it up. Then see if the above suggestions work.

Try the monitor and cable on another PC to eliminate the PC as being a problem.

Try a different monitor and cable on the PC to eliminate the the monitor and cable as the problem.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Tried the monitor reset - same problem

Tried another PC - same problem

Tried different monitor - no PC problem

Tried different cable - same problem

Tried different cable type (VGA) - same problem

Tried low-resolution from PC (1024 x 768) - same problem

In all above cases with the problem, desktop is shown briefly (looking perfect) and 1 sec later the monitor goes blank (power button continues to be transparent blue indicating full power on monitor, so the monitor isn't in sleep mode)

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and please feed me some more if you have more in stock 😉

HP Recommended

Hi,

OK

Tell us about how you are connecting the monitor to your PC.

Are you using a VGA cable?

Are you using any adapters?  If yes, then are you connecting into a DVI port on the back of your PC? If yes, then tell what type of DVI port and DVI adapter are you using.  If you are using a DVI to VGA connection, then the DVI adapter on the back of your PC must support analog.

If you are using any device in between the PC and monitor then disconnect it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.