Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (2,789 Views)

HP Workstation xw6200 processor upgrade

Hi,

I have a HP Workstation xw6200 and am looking to upgrade the processors to one that has VT, Virtual Technology built in.

I have searched for a compatible processor but cannot find any.

I have 2 x Intel 7041's but before I try I wanted to know if these will work or if a Bios upgrade is required before.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to get this xw6200 running with Virtual software.

Thanks in advance

Jay

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (2,756 Views)

Re: HP Workstation xw6200 processor upgrade

Jay, welcome to the forum.

Here are the processors that are supported by HP:

ProcessorSingle or dual Intel Xeon processors (Nocona) with EM64T and Hyper-Threading Technology

Intel Pentium 4 ProcessorsIntel Xeon Processor with 800 MHz Front Side Bus, 1 MB L2 cache

• 2.8 GHz
  • 3.2 GHz
  • 3.4 GHz
  • 3.6 GHz

2nd Intel Xeon Processor with 800 MHz Front Side Bus, 1 MB L2 cache

• 2.8 GHz
  • 3.2 GHz
  • 3.4 GHz
  • 3.6 GHz

These are the only ones that are in the specs.  I don't know if they are compatible with Virtual Technolgy or not.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (2,726 Views)

Re: HP Workstation xw6200 processor upgrade

Hi Oldgeekster,

Thanks for your response but I already have that information from the HP website.

I was looking to get any further info via the forum with regards to CPU's and what, if any with VT, are compatible with this unit.

If anyone can advise as I am trying to run Microsofts Virtual PC and/or VMWare Workstation.

These will not currently run as Virtual Technology (VT) CPU's are required.

Should I find anything in the mean time, I will update this post

Thanks again for your time.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation