cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP_Hoarder
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP s3220n PC Recovery Disk Needed

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n Desktop PC

Windows Vista Home Edition

I'm not certain exactly what had caused it's current issue, I was only told to attempt fixing it since I've wiped out many hard drives before.

This computer was bought at Circuit Citywhich has recently closed downand they had given us recovery disks in case they were needed.

Now they're needed but for some reason do not run.

The computer won't startup fully. It will turn on, show the blue HP start up screen with (f10 - set up) (recovery f11 - system recovery) optionsF11 does not work, I've tried to get into safe mode to get into the computer and recover the computer that way. I've repeatedly pressed f11, nothing comes up.

A black screen will then load. (Without Recovery CD in)

- Black screen with white writing, "Disk Boot Failure, insert System disk and press enter."

Nothing else happens here and has to be shut off by pressing the hard drive power button. Unless I put the CD recovery Disk in, which I've tried putting it in when I was prompted to, and I've also placed the disk in before startup.

(With Recovery CD in)

- Start up menu shows, HP welcome screen and then a black screen.

Then white writing pops up, " Windows is loading files..."

Then after loading is complete, and error message comes up: "This PC is not supported by the system recovery disks. You will not be able to continue to recover the system with these disks."

Press OK.

Then an application error pops up: Memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate. Click OK, and computer restarts starting all over again.

I've looked through the HP website for the Recovery Disks but haven't had much luck.

I'm not sure what else to do for the computer so any help would be greatly appreciated. I also hope I gave enough information to describe this. Thanks.

(Sorry for my lack of computer terms or knowledge of fixing computers.)

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
1badGuard
Level 8
2,491 2,488 134 244
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For recovery discs contact HP by phone.
800-474-6836

Did you add more memory? Try reseating the memory.

It could be the HDD is going bad. Try to test it if at all possible.

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 03-25-2009 12:12 AM
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I believe the message you are getting is telling you that the Recovery disks are meant for a different computer.  If you have changed anything from what it was, put it back to the factory configuration before trying the restore/recovery.  If that does not work, then they might have given you the wrong disks.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

larryfc
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A lot of this sounds like the problem I had.  My hard drive had failed due to the Seagate bios bug.  I was not able to get to boot options unbtil I disconnected the hard drive.  If you can, disonnect the hard drive then boot and try to access the boot wcreen options.  If you can it is the hare drive.  It is also a good idea to turn on the boot messages befroe exiting.  That you can get a little information about what is going on.  In my case, it was not ableto locate the hard drive, but took two minutes or so looking. 

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,463
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The message 'PC is not supported by the system recovery disks' is usually caused by an incomplete/corrupt BIOS tattoo string ,which is in all HP machines  and read by Recovery to be sure it is an HP and entitled to use Recovery. This error requires service by HP, hope the machine is still in warranty?

Use the number posted by dmhoo above to contact HP.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation