Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to download a driver to install the HP USB External DVD RW drive I have and the HP support site does not have the driver software and my PC is not recognizing the drive. Is the drive not plug and play? Where can I download a driver. How can I fix this. My PC is modular and there is no tower. It is an HP Envy23 so I NEED this external drive to function.

Thank you so much!

-Sean

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

USB drivers are built into Windows 10. Try your USB external DVD drive on another PC to make sure that it works.

What is the model number for the HP external USB drive?

Did you look under Device Manager to see if the external USB DVD drive is recognized? See the below image.

USB DVD drive in device manager.jpg

If no joy after a PC power cycle with the USB plugged in then review the following information at this site.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Sean_1974

I would like to add, it is dynamic (or we nomally say Plug-n-Play). The following image shows Device Manager on my loan machine which does not have ODD (Optical Disc Drive).

I opened Device Manager w/o my external ODD (I've got the left side) and pluged the external ODD in (first time because I don't use CD or DVD on loan machine), within 5 seconds, the external ODD turned up as shown on the right side.

extcd.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice...no it is not showing in the device manager after power cycling.

There doesn't appear to be a model number?? On the back of the Ext Drive it says "HP USB External DVDRW Drive"

It lists an HP P/N: 743334-001 and Spare Part Number 747080-001 and Serial Number CNH4493499.

I have confirmed on another machine that the drive is operational.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I should add for context that the machine I verified the Drive as working in is an old laptop running XP os.

As soon as I plugged it in the new hardware notification popped up and I was able to use the drive.

I am at a loss... Please advise.

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Boot into the BIOS and see if the device is being discovered.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Big Dave... Thank you so much! For whatever reason after going into bios and looking at the devices, it showed up and when I logged in I was able to see and use the external drive. No idea what happened or why but I guess it is irrelevant since I can now use the DVDRW optical drive. I appreciate your help!

-Sean

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.