Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (1,042 Views)

Help! re installing windows 7 and preloaded software

[ Edited ]

I purchased just over a week ago a new hp touchsmart 520-1190ea with windows 7 o/s. After purchase i received the upgrade to windows 8 email and decided to give it a go. After trying it out i decided Windows 8 wasn't really for me and my family. so tried attempted to use the recovery disk to reinstall windows 7. Unfortunatley, for some reason the recovery disk wasn't created correctly and thus failed when I tried to carry out the recovery. 

I then went on the HP website and perhaps i misunderstood but the support facility informed me to carry out a system reset which would return the PC back to manufacture settings. The problem being that after this was carried out windows 8 remained and it deleted all the preloaded software on the system. 

This is where I need help - is there anyway to restore everything back to its purchase state with windows 7 and the remain preloaded software? It seems that i may be able to download some of it but not all. I know PC's no longer come with recovery disks but surely there must be one available from HP? or a way to restore it from the boot drive? I note from the support site that customers in the US and Canada can apply for one!

If I have to live with windows 8 then so be it I'm sure I can figure it out and live with it but really want the preloaded software back.

Any help will be greatly received. 

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 3 (1,031 Views)

Re: Help! re installing windows 7 and preloaded software

[ Edited ]

If the installation of Windows 8 did not remove the Recovery Partition, then the PC can be restored to the factory freah by tapping the F11 key as soon as the Blue HP screen comes up at bootup. If that does not produce a starting secquence to restore see here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Provost
Message 3 of 3 (1,025 Views)

Re: Help! re installing windows 7 and preloaded software

[ Edited ]

As pointed out by "TheOldMan", if Windows 8 didn't mess up the "D:" drive recovery partiton you should be able to run a recovery from it.

I suggest you read this HP Forum thread entitled "Recovery Partition won't boot!". This thread provides some methods which have been found to be successful in restoring functionality to the "HP Recovery" partition. Please note that the thread doesn't apply to Windows 8 directly and that some instructions may be different. Start with "ioncannon's" post marked "Solution" and work down if needed.

"ioncannon's" original steps performed:

- I created USB recovery disk using HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-77449-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us....

- Made flash disk bootable using EasyBCD utility

Link: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

just added a new entry for removable pointing to WIM image, please refer EasyBCD documentation

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Documentation+Home

This is a quick and dirty solution, and may be done more estetically without creation of USB recovery disk drive, just adding the boot record for recovery partition.

If you need additional assistance, please post back. If you are unable to get the computer back to a factory like state using the suggested methods, you will need to purchase a set of HP Recovery Discs for your computer. Since the computer is a UK model, you will need to contact HP Customer Support in your region to request these discs.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation