cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mattmr01
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

How can I upgrade the graphics on a firebird 802?

HP Recommended

HP Firebird Voodoo DNA 802  Product # GM339AAR#ABA  S.N. {Removed for privacy}

Graphics: Nvidia NForce 760I SLI. Latest drivers  have been installed

I would like to upgrade the graphics but don't know how. NoPCI slots.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
lasvegaswireman
Level 15
9,487 9,432 1,671 4,707
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your VoodooDNA 802 Desktop Computer. According to the specs it came with the following;

Video Graphics

nVidia GeForce 9800 S (two graphics cards, one slot for each card)

512M DDR3 for each card

I/O Ports: None (output ports are located on motherboard)

Supports HDMI and DVI ports on motherboard's back panel

and has the following PCIe ports for graphics;

Expansion slots

2 x PCI Express x16 (at x8 speed) (None available)

The "Nvidia NForce 760I SLI" you listed as graphics is actually the chipset.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Tags (1)
Mattmr01
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

When I go to the device manager the "display adapter" shows the NForce 760I SLI .

How do I get the system to see the 9800 cards?

I tried  "searce for hardware changes". I removed the cards from the system.

The system ran the same with out them. After reinstalling the cards I "searched for hardware changes"

again, still can't see the cards.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sometime after the release of GeForce Driver Version 266.58 WHQL Nvidia removed the GeForce 9800 S GPU from the NVDISP.INF Display Information file included with the newer driver installers. It is possible to edit the NVDISP.INF file to include the GeForce 9800 S GPU and install the newest drivers but the Nvidia Control Panel is missing some pages. I'm hoping that Nvidia will fix that eventually.

I've used the following three files from the NVIDIA website on both Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit. In my experience they are the most trouble-free, most complete, and most up-to-date files that install correctly on my two Firebirds.

nForce Driver Version 15.56 WHQL

GeForce Driver Version 266.58 WHQL

NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support Version 6.08

2 x HP Firebird 802 + 2 x HP 2159m monitor + Windows 7 Home Premium + Windows 8.1 Pro
GeForce Driver Version 266.58 WHQL installs correctly without modification.
GeForce Driver Version 296.10 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but Nvidia Control Panel is broken.
GeForce Driver Version 341.44 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but 2-way SLI is broken.
Tags (1)
EnzoMatrix
Level 3
45 43 2 8
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now the 290.53 fully supports our Firebirds without any trickery. Now, some are fooled by the device manager about the driver version. However, if you look in System Information via the Nvidia Control Panel you can clearly see that the 290.53 driver installs correctly on the two 9800S and the 760i SLI Bridge chip are all running then 290.53 driver with no conflicts or problems. This is an extremely stable driver and I have used it to play over 83 games on my Firebird.  

I am playing; SWTOR (FPS 40-70), Guild Wars 2 (40-60), and FF14 (30-40). All are played on a HP2159m monitor @ 1920x1080 with high settings running DirectX 10. I have experimented with version post 290, the 300 series, but they have so far proven far too unstable for our chipset.

0 Kudos
noobie_gamer
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The previous two posts are somewhat helpful.  BUT if I go to the nVidea site I am unable to find said drivers.  BTW how do you manipulate the *.ini file?

0 Kudos
EnzoMatrix
Level 3
45 43 2 8
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The 2953 is available @ www.geforce.com in 'Beta and Archived' drivers. Next, you don't need to alter the .inf to use 290.53.
0 Kudos
AGCO72
Level 1
15 15 0 1
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need some serious help!!

I have HP Firebird 802 and I bought new video cards GTX 570 M.  I upgraded to Window 8 before putting these new cards in.

NOW system won't detect them and they won't detect old 9800S cards either.  I can't even find a driver for Windows8.

I already know that I need to revert back to Windows7 and I am okay with this and in the process of doing so, but I have a question.

Once I get the system back to the way it was using the 9800S cards and the HP drivers and Windows 7 64BIT, will I be able to upgrade to the two 570M cards I bought using the HP native driver and Windows7?

Thanks for your help.  I am dithcing Windows8 due to all these issues.  I thought Nvidias latest Windows8 64BIT driver for my 570M's would work, but they don't.  It won't even allow me to install the driver as the system does not even recognize the two new cards in device manager under the display adapter section.  It creates a new section called 'Other' and lists my two cards as '3D video controller'.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
EnzoMatrix
Level 3
45 43 2 8
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, that was pretty ballsy to make that upgrade! Let me try to help.

Here is a link for the newest driver for your card for Windows 8 GeForce 310.70 Driver

You are the first person I have read that upgraded to 8... but I am not here often you might want to search the forums for 8 Upgrade.

Hope the driver helps.. You might also want to look around here: Gerforce Forums  for tips on getting the system to recognize the new cards.

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
AGCO72
Level 1
15 15 0 1
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DUDE!!

It doens't work.  First of all, I  downgraded back to Windows 7.  I just wanted to get everything back to normal using the 9800S cards.

When I install the nbew cards, device manager notices them in a new tree category called 'Other'.

From this point I can't get any driver to work.

The driver you linked me won't install because nvidia installation process doesn't detect any GPU's.

I simpy don't understand why this MB is locked down and won't accept any new hardware.

The cards are GDDR5, but the old 9800s are DDR3.

This should not matter.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation