Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario SR1610NX

Windows XP SP3

MS-7184 Motherboard (ED865AA-ABA-SR1610NXNA540)

AMD Sempron 3200+ CPU currently installed

BIOS version:

Phoenix Award, Sept 30, 2005, Rev. 3.35 (9/30/2005-RS480-SB400-6A666M4DC-00)

Background:

I have tried replacing the Sempron processor with an Athlon 64 3500+, as well as an Athlon 64 X2 3800+. The processors were acquired from two different (reputable) vendors. In both cases, the system will not boot (black screen, no hard drive activity, no beeps, etc.) with the new processor installed. Re-insert the Sempron and all is well.

Question 1:

Is a BIOS update required for the motherboard/system to recognize the new processor?

Note: Based on the motherboard manual from HP, these processors are supported.

Question 2:

HP lists a BIOS update for AC97 codec that is specified for a MS-7093/MS-7184 motherboard. WWW.MSI.com provides BIOS updates for the MS-7093 motherboard (MS-7184 is not supported by MSI). One of the MS-7093 BIOS updates is specifically to support Dual Core Athlon processors. Would these BIOS updates provide a solution?

Thanks, in advance, for any info.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your Compaq Presario SR1610NX Desktop Computer and it's MSI MS-7184 (AmethystM-GL6E) motherboard. According to the specs, your computer will support the following CPUs;

Socket: 939

AMD Athlon 64 X2 (up to 4800+) and Sempron (up to 3200+) processors

Please note that support may be limited to certain "cores" and "TDPs". Please post the CPU tray or part numbers from the three CPUs (Sempron, Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2) in your possesion. This may allow me to identify some part numbers that will work in your computer.

A BIOS update shouldn't be necessary to support the listed CPUs. If you wish to update the BIOS, one is available on the HP Software and Driver Downloads page for your computer. This BIOS update is version 3.47 dated 2006-03-03 but doesn't appear to address your issue. Don't install any BIOS updates from MSI, as it is likely that you will "BRICK" your computer. The motherboard in your computer is customized for HP and may not be compatible with retail MSI BIOS updates.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

To: lasvegaswireman

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have some updated info, as well as the info you requested.

This morning I tried re-inserting the Athlon X2 to confirm the behavior that I had observed.  I was incorrect regarding the fans.  The CPU fan and power supply fan did start on power-up.  I had left the CPU fan and heat-sink off the CPU so I could detect any heat/activity of the processor (by touch).  The CPU, within a few seconds, began to get very hot and the CPU fan cycled up to a higher fan speed.  I quickly shut off the computer and re-removed the processor.  No "boot" activity (keyboard/mouse/hard drive/video) was detected - however, I was mostly concerned with the rapid CPU heat build-up at the time, so I might not have been paying close attention!

With regard to the processors:

Sempron

SDA3200DI038W

LBBWE  0538FPAW

Z813457I50280

Athlon 64 (I don't have complete details, as I returned it)

ADA3500DAA4BWW

Athlon 64 X2

ADA3800DAA5BV

LDBFE 0623WPMW

Z947409F60403

Thanks again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.