cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
NewBeeMan102
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Need to change boot sequence

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6009n PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install Windows 10 Home Edition on a new hard drive i put in an HP Pavilion a6009n PC.  Trying to get into the BIOS to change boot sequence.  I tried every function key and other ways with no luck.  Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanx.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,615 10,611 990 2,991
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the newer PCs holding the Esc key down while powering up should bring up a menu to choose a way to enter the setup menu.  From there you can change the boot sequence.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Another thing to try:

* turn the computer off;

* press and hold down any key on your keyboard;

* turn the computer on;

If you are "lucky", you might get a message like  "keyboard error. Press <BLAH> to enter BIOS SETUP".

Release the key that you have been holding down.

Press that <BLAH> key, whatever it is.

0 Kudos
NewBeeMan102
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the newer PCs holding the Esc key down while powering up should bring up a menu to choose a way to enter the setup menu.  From there you can change the boot sequence.  THIS did not work.  It is NOT a newer PC.  It is a HP Pavilion a6009n PC.  It originally ran Vista.  The hd was shot.  Put in a new hd, dvd re-write and power supply.  Trying to install Windows 10 but unable to get in the BIOS.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,615 10,611 990 2,991
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK the typical key to open the BIOS is F10, I believe.  It has to been done before anything else starts, in other words start tapping F10 as soon as the power button is pressed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
NewBeeMan102
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem was the keyboard itself.  The PC is an older model and I am using a keyboard with a USB connector.  None of the keys are being recognized.  I ordered a usb to ps/2 convertor which I hope will work.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,615 10,611 990 2,991
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok.  That is a problem sometimes with a PC that needs a PS/2 type keyboard.  Hopefully that will solve the keyboard not being recognized.  Keep in mind that does not always solve the problem and you might need to buy a real PS/2 keyboard for entering the BIOS sequence.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation