Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 5 (674 Views)

PC time wrong , BIOS time , CMOS issue ?

Hi ,

I have recently bought an XW8400 workstation , all seems to be fine ,with no running issues atall .

So far I would describe it as a lovely piece of kit Smiley Happy with Quality construction and overly adequate cooling ( 4 Fans )

However I have noticed that the time in XP/win7 seems to be a bit strange !!

If I correct time manually via either ( XP or 7 ) running system or by Internet Time Server , time stays OK until I turn OFF ?

It is a dual boot with these 2 OS's so it's NOT software.

It is a 2 CPU setup ( Intel 5160 ) with 8 x 1GB RAM sticks , it is running in AHCI mode via BIOS and is booting to 1 single Raptor 160 GB 10,000 rpm drive , Nvidia FX1400 Graphics dual DVI .

I have tried turning ALL power saving options in BIOS off/on , I have also tried updating BIOS to version 2.38 , I have replaced the CMOS battery , which insidently was low at 1.6v , the new CR2032 reads 3.2v , I have checked the CMOS holder and it looks clean and solid to MB .

Last night I tried setting time in BIOS , saved changes , booted into XP , all seemed good time was accurate for over an hour. So I shut down and went back to BIOS checked time again , still OK. Shut down removed side disconnected Hard Drive rebooted to BIOS time had changed a bit ( 1/2 mins ) approx , this was I assume time taken to remove side and SATA plug . Shut down and leave , this morning I booted to BIOS and TIME had stopped at the time I turned PC off.

Left it and checked just now 5 pm , BIOS time still exactly where it was when I turned off ( frozen ) from the night before , the AC lead has not been removed .

Am I missing something really silly in BIOS settings , or is the MB dead ?

The other BIOS settings ALL stay good and so does the DATE .

Searching GOOGLE some say the CMOS TOY ( Time Of Year ) clock can be dead , as it consists of a crystal and an RC network ( capacitor and resistor ) , if PC has got hot capacitor could be dying or there could be a dry joint on MB ?

Anyone with any ideas ?         Even if they are crazy Smiley Happy  

I understand PC's and Electronics but this has me stumped !

Or do I send it back to Ebay dealer ( Charles Computers ) he does deal in loads of these XW WORKSTATIONS but seems to be ignoring my emails at the moment . As it has warranty still ?

Dave.

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 5 (618 Views)

Re: PC time wrong , BIOS time , CMOS issue ?

Hello Dink4,

The computer you are posting about is a commercial HP unit. Here is a link to the commercial forum, it may be more helpful to you.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Intern
Message 3 of 5 (609 Views)

Thanks for the input npw05001 ,

but if you look here you will see I have done that already :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/PC-time-wrong-BIOS-time-CMOS-issue/m-p/...

I was hoping that someone here might know Smiley Happy

Dave.

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (603 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I haven't looked at the motherboard for your PC.

The main timing crystal could be bad.  The clear CMOS jumper may be loose or on the wrong pins. If you have a clear CMOS switch then make sure that it is not stuck depressed.

hmmmm --- I wonder why "Charles Computer" is not responding?

You really should be on the other forum with your issue.

Have you thought about taking your PC into a local competent PC repair shop?

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Intern
Message 5 of 5 (591 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave_G ,

I  just checked CMOS clear switch and it does click so I assume it's not stuck and CMOS jumper is on correct pins , thanks for the heads up Smiley Happy

I thought both forums might give me a better chance of a reply and to be honest , I have had nothing back on the Business forum so I'm glad I did post here Smiley Happy

Charles Computers finally came back to me , after a week of silence and suggested it may have a problem , and asked if I wanted it to be sent back for repair ??

I emailed straight back with yes and since , have heard nothing again , so I am not overly pleased with their Customer Service , they do sell loads of these but when you scrutinise their feedback on Ebay seems if you have a problem they don't move very quickly. Maybe hoping you'll give up ?

Thanks for giving me something to try I hadn't thought of , I do think it may be a dead / need repair on MB though , pity .

Would love to pull the board out and look with a magnifier for dry joints or stick a scope on near the crystal and look for a reading , but this has 30 day warranty so don't want to go too deep or he'll say the damage was caused by me .

However it looks as though by the time I get it back warranty will be out , sneaky move on his part !!

Dave. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation