cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Steve_Jones
5 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Problem with Function keys . . .

HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1254
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having a problem getting the "fn+f1" key combination to work in a program.  One of the solutions their forum offered was to check my bios setup to lock and/or unlock my fn key.

As far as I can tell, this setting is not in my bios setup control panel.  I'm not sure, but from reading through these forums, it appears that this setting may be something common to laptops but not desktops.

When I tried to simply test whether or not my function keys worked without the fn key, I also noticed that f2 is marked as the "sleepmode" button, but f3 actually starts sleep mode (without pressing the fn key), while f2 doesn't appear to do anything.

Is there someplace I can check/change my fn and f1-f12 settings?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
91,936 91,817 11,856 25,323
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your mahine is a desktop and you are using external keyboard. I use external keyboard for my laptops all the times (well almost) and depending on what is your keyboard you don't need fn key to use F1 to F12. Please use Fn key (it should have different color) with the same color symbol.

F1 is normally for Help, what is other symbol and color of the other on that key ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Steve_Jones
Author
5 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

On my particular keyboard the keys are all the same color, but the fn key has a white  border around the letters fn.  The f2, f5, f6, f7, and f8 keys have symbols in white borders for sleep mode (a moon), rewind, play/pause, stop, and fast forward on them.  While the f2+fn combination does activate sleep mode, the f3 key (without the fn key) seems to also activate sleep mode.   In certain circumstances, the f3 also seems to open the quick action/"Life at a Glance" window.

The program I had been working with was a game program which reassigned a function to the f1+fn key combination.  Their forum suggested that if there was a problem with this, it might be due to my fn lock/unlock setting in the system BIOS.  That is what sent me through the looking glass in search of my fn settings . . . which I never found.

0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
91,936 91,817 11,856 25,323
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation