Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vcw39 Tutor
Tutor
9 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problems with Recovery

Aquired a HP m8400f that was having trouble booting Vista. Some one had removed some of the software and had moved the HP partition to the 2nd drive. After an update from Windows the computer refused to fully boot and a Restore would not work (Restore Partition was empty).

Ordered Restore disks from HP and attempted to do a restore after receiving them with restore never completing. Tried the restore several times with the ssame result of seeing 2 folders on the desktop with files flying between the folders.

Contacted HP about the problem and wished I hadn't. The tech tried to get me to run all kinds of tests that I had accomplished several times. He insisted that I had a hard drive failure and I needed to get a warranty extension. All the tests completed as OK when they were run so there wasn;t any problem with the drives.

Eventually I told them I would work on the problem without their help.

Loaded Ubuntu 10.04 on the computer by booting from a Kingston DataTraveler and looked at the drives in the computer. The first drive was shown as a 360 GB drive with 3 partitions of 10GB, 50GB, and 10GB. The 2nd drive was shown as a 360 GB but was unmountable because it was not recognized as mountable.

As the drives were being rebuilt I used the Ubuntu software to repartition both drives to 360 GB and reformatted them to NTFS.

Attempted the Restoration of the computer and this was accomplished in about 3 hours. For some reason the 2nd drive being in an unreadable state was causing the problem

So the next time you are having restoration problems check to make sure both drives are useable.

1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
20285 2224 7378
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problems with Recovery

VCW, thank you for taking the time to make a thread explaining your findings.  This information will help those of us who help on the forum have another tool to use.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation