cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SteveJordan
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

RAID-5 array not mounting after system rebuild

HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an EliteDesk 800 G1 running Win 7x64 Ultimate, with a 1TB system drive and a 4x2.7TB (8TB total) RAID-5 array functioning as a library.  The system drive only had about 300 GB of data on it; OS and apps and a little data.

The system is set up so it boots from the 1TB 10K 2.5" Velociraptor drive for speed, but all the critical data is safely stored in RAID-5.

Three days ago, the 1TB system drive failed.  (I tried mightily to revive it, but I think I can hear something rattling when I shake it gently.) So I bought a new 1TB drive and started to rebuild the system.

But I can't get it to see the RAID-5 array as a single drive, and I can't get at the data.  (There's a lot of it, and it's very valuable to me.)

When booting, I see the screen go by that gives me the ability to configure the drives (I think it's BIOS-level RAID control, "Press CTRL+I to configure")) and it shows all the drives are present and part of an array, but when I stop it to inquire, I can't do anything but exit or take drives out of the array.

How do I get that array to connect to the system again?  RAID-5 was supposed to keep the data safer!

10 REPLIES 10
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number your PC so that the members of the community can better assist you with your questions and issues.

Probably nothing wrong with the RAID array unless the motherboard is bad.  Did you reinstall the RAID drivers in W7 when you rebuilt the system drive?

Review the RAID drivers that are available from Intel if you haven't done so.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SteveJordan
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Dave!  Thanks for the quick reply!

I thought EliteDesk 800 G1 _was_ the way to identify the product; it's all the identification I know to get, other than to start getting the CPUID or something.  (The only thing I left out was that it's a tower, but that's the only form factor that will take 5 3.5" HDDs)

I'm using SDM to install drivers, and all the RAID and relevant HDD drivers it has are already in.  Windows Explorer shows the new 1TB C: drive, and a 😧 and E: drives that are both 0 capacity and full, but Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Managament shows 😧 and E: as 8.38TB online volumes that are Healthy but Raw.  (Which suggests to me that RST knows that they are a single volume, and is telling the OS only that it exists.)

If I try to access them, they both say they need to be formatted; "The volume does not contain a recognizable file system.  Make sure the required file system drivers are loaded (etc.)"  I think they are pointing to the same volume, but they are seeing it incorrectly.)

The version of RST currently installed is 12.5.0.1815, and it seems to be operating at a layer under the OS (BIOS?) and it was sufficient to read the array as a volume right up until the system drive failed.  The version at the Intel site you linked is 15.2.0.1020, and it has a warning about how installing this leaves no path of retreat (only non-critical components can be uninstalled.)

Is this the best course?  The array worked before, I'm just trying to get it to read the volume that - by all measures I can conceieve - should still be intact.  I assume I'm simply doing something incorrectly to re-mount the volume.

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

I did ask you to "review the RAID drivers" and not just a driver.

Post the product number as requested.

Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
SteveJordan
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm...

The first link walks me though a decision tree to inform me that I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 (http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?cc=us&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=5387466&ac.admit...)

The second link walks me through what looks like the same decision tree to indicate I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 (http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?cc=us&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=5387466&ac.admit...)

The third link installs Support Solutions Framework and tries to reinstall Support Assistant - a valuable resource which I had installed much earlier - but doesn't produce any other results on its own.

With a bit of 'net searching, I've found that an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower with a 4-core i5 CPU shows up at least twice with a product number of J6D89UT#ABA.  There may be minute SKU differences, and I've tricked this one out a bit, replacing the stock 500GB 3.5" HDD with HP's WD Velociraptor 2.5" 10K 1TB HDD (that's the drive that blew out, I know...but it was still a standard build, and the RAID was supposed to keep the data safe!) and filling all four RAM slots with 4GB DDR3 sticks.

Other things it may be helpful to know: the BIOS was recently updated to 02.70 A 1, and the preboot RST page shows the status of the RAID volume is REBUILD (and then at the bottom of that ASCII page, it says, "Volumes with the 'rebuild' status will be rebuilt within the operating system.")

The Intel page you had linked to included seventeen drivers, but only the one on the top of the list specifically indicated relevance to W7x64, so I didn't spend any time on the others. Sorry; I thought you were indicating that the RAID driver I needed was there, and I was asking if you thought installing v15 over my current - and previously working - v12 was a good idea at this stage.

SteveJordan
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gee, that was kind of disappointing.

SteveJordan
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here it is again so you don't have to dig:  AFAICT, the product number is J6D89UT#ABA.  I would be curious to understand why a RAID protocol used across a number of products is best defined with a very specific product number, but for whatever reason, there you have it.

DSC08607.JPG

Sorry this is blurry, but I think it' still readable.  The above is a shot of the pre-boot notification that I have a four-drive RAID-5 volume named R5 with the status "Rebuild"

DSC08608.JPG

Here's a shot of the info available if you hit CTRL+I; it indicates the volume *will* be rebuilt within the operating system.  This is good news, except it never happens.  (I'd suspect misunderstanding if it said "...*may* be rebuilt.")

So what's happening here?  The only options available are to Exit, or Reset Disks to Non-RAID (clearly a bad idea.)  What do I need to do to get this volume attached and rebuilt?

Help!

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The rebuild process is normally silent and you will not know that it is in process.

SteveJordan
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And it takes over six weeks?

Come on, no kidding.  What should I be doing to get my data back?  This can't be the first time this has ever happened.

Should I replace the system drive again and attempt to rebuild the system a second time (giving it another chance to "see" the array as a RAID-5 volume and actually rebuild it)?

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your data may not recoverable. However, there is some hope.  Review this article.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation