cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Re-Install issue/question

HP Recommended

Trying to restore our Compaq 6016 US desktop by re-installing recovery disks that came with the system.  Did this fine a few months ago, but in my latest attempt, it's different.

First, the install seems to go fine (put in the compaq restore plus cd, follow with the windows xp home cd, and then the two supplemental cd's that have the software that came with the computer). 

It appears that once this is all done, the computer then starts to install, but it appears in the middle of installing it reboots and takes me to the set-up of the computer.  I do all that is asked, and then the computer starts to install more ( I don't remember that happening before, but could be wrong ).

One thing I know didn't happen before and is happening now...near the end of the install (2nd part) install stops with a request to insert a disk into the A drive to find FBISM.exe.  I don't have, and have never had a floppy disk with this computer for re-install.  I finally get past that request and the install continues, but when the computer re-boots, it goes to a screen that says:

An unrecoverable error has occured...installation cannot continue..contact compaq...press enter to shutdown system.  I ty to hit enter, and nothing happens.  I hit ctrl-alt-delete and on the task manager window it shows FBI Gui Manager not responding.

The first time this happened, I just shutdown the computer, restarted and same thing happened.  So, I tried the re-install again.

Same scenario, third try, same thing...but, as soon as the screen got to windows, before it had a chance to go to the error message listed above, I opened Run and disabled FBISM from the start-up.  Computer started again and everything worked fine...except, I have a 60G hard drive and it's only showing 15.9 G available.

Long story short...I can use the computer as is, at one-fourth capacity.  Would like to know suggestions to get full use.

thanks

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 5
183 183 10 35
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The fblsm.exe is important , it partions your drives- installs the image in d: configures the C:. It sound as if the C: drive is not being formated correctly ,are you doing a Destructive recovery or non-destructive? This is XP?
Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This is Windows XP Home Version that came with the computer.  I was doing a complete re-install or recovery when this problem occurred as mentioned in my first post.  Probably why I only see 15.9 G of the 60 G hard drive?  But the problem again goes to the install when it asks for a disk in Drive A for fbism.exe file.  I don't have a floppy disk to install, never did with this computer, it's all on CD.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted HP about a new recovery CD as it sounds like the current Compaq restore Cd I have may have a corrupt fbism.exe file? At least that's one suggestion from someone as to why it asked for the file from a floppy drive during install and restoration.  I was told by HP that they no longer have that computer's restore CD, but one could be made for about $60.  Not sure if that's worth it if it's not the problem, plus I did a search on the current Compaq restore CD to find the fbism.exe file in question, found it and copied it to a floppy disk.  Worth the try to re-install and restore again, and then have the floppy ready if it asks for it again?

I'm not trying to be cheap (sort of) but since I've got at least a 15.9 Gig hard drive thats working fine, not sure if I want to chance it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
183 183 10 35
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For earlier recovery disks go to this web site---follow the link  http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=S5000V&bkm=Results#Results

I do not know shipping and handling but they have your recovery disks for a fairly decent price.

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for the information and link.  Not sure what I'll do at this point as computer is working with the 15.9 gig, and a program that I was directed to gparted live cd showed there is 39 gig unallocated on the drive.  I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to next with that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just an update...information I received from another help forum directed me to download and use the program gparted live cd.  I did that, and that program was able to reformat my hard drive to full use.  So far, no issues with it, and I don't have all the extra software/programs that were pre-installed on the computer at the factory.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With Partition issues, Partition Magic is a freeware program, that will streach your hard drive to its normal capasity

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation