Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sfoster1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SSM - HPQflash fails with error 0x103

I'm trying to update the bios of a test machine (HP Comqaq Elite 8300 USDT)  using SSM but it doesn't update, I receive an error in the log file:

HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (K01 BIOS) for Windows (SP61923.CVA): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""hpqflash\hpqflash.exe" -s -p"C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\SSM86EC.tmp\PWD9E33.tmp"") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code = 0x103))

I've tried it with a few versions of the BIOS Softpaq.

Has anyone solved this problem before?

4 REPLIES
Intern Intern
Intern
44 0 8
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

My suggestion would be update to the newest version of SSM:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SSM.html

I work for HP
0 Kudos
sfoster1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I've tried updating to the latest version but I'm still getting the same error message when running SSM. 

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
briend Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Verified I'm having the same problem.  SSM 3.2.2.1.  Happens to various models including 800G1, 8200 Elite

• SSM Version: 3, 2, 2, 1 (3.2.2.1)
  • User Name: xxxx
  • Parameters: /TEMP:"C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SSMC7EF.tmp" /SSMFS:"\\xxxxx.edu\stor\applications\Drivers\SSMFS" /SSMPATH:"C:\windows\TEMP" /accept /reboot /cpwdfile:\\xxxxxx.edu\stor\applications\Drivers\SSMFS\new.bin /log:c:\ssm \\xxxxxxx.edu\stor\applications\Drivers\SSMFS\SP

ROM Firmware for 8200 Elite and 6200 Pro Business PCs (J01) (SP71294.CVA): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""hpqflash\hpqflash.exe" -s -p"C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SSMC7EF.tmp\PWD25EA.tmp"") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code = 0x103))

0 Kudos
briend Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I reran the SSM setup and made a new password file named "newpassword.bin" and then selected that (which I believe gets embedded in ssm.bin).  Even though I am sure my other .bin file has the same password, this seems to be working now.  Apparently the password embedded is used instead of the password included with the /cpwdfile switch.  Seems like a bug to me, though.  If it was a bad password it should just say as much.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation