Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just realize, isn't it possible that your graficscard is from ATi (amd) instead if nvidia?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/8700m-8800m#

HP Recommended

Just make sure you apply the thermal pads!

Don't leave everything else except the GPU exposed to the air without active cooling.

Your card would die pretty soon if your VRAM chips and MOSFET are not cooled down actively via the thermal pads.

Get 1.5-2mm thermal pad and custom cut it to fit all VRAMs and all MOSFET or any other parts that generate a lot of heat.

The center square bump is actually glued with epoxy and it takes a lot of effort to take it off.

This is not mandatory.

HP Recommended

Can't be that.

HD88xxm was introduced Q1 2013 and his laptop most likely has old HP with a 8800M GTS or GTX.

It's a MXM 2.1 GPU and the only improvement may be GTX260M, if it is not blacklisted in HP BIOS.

What I can suggest is a current Win 7 driver mod. Google nvidia driver mod and you will see what I'm talking about.

I've used this method to have the latest drivers installed on legacy devices.

HP Recommended

El Beano. I have 3 Dragons. 1has an ATI card and 2 have nVidia cards. The 2 nVidias were bought specifically for running Mastercam. Mastercam does not play well with ATI cards.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thans Xenon. I'll check it out.

HP Recommended

Did you managed to finish your project successfully? im in the same situation but didnt bought the video card yet, so i want to know if the computer accespted the gtx980m and the drivers are ok.

Thanks

HP Recommended

well the project was on hold for a while, i did measure the thickness of the pads to be needed everywhere on the heatsink, but i  first need to remove the coppper plaque, little square ontop of the surface. and replace it with  a wider one, because the gpu surface is bigger then the copper plate right now.

so to answer in short, not yet 😕

HP Recommended

thanks for the quick answer, ill stick close to this topic because im very curious about this mod. have you tried booting the system for testing with the gtx980m inside to check if the system recognize it? or you wait for the full mount?

HP Recommended

The 980M works well in the Z1. I don't think you'll get an AMD card to work.

Removing the copper square is not enough - the X-bracket built into the back of the cooler you attach to the card is designed for a NVIDIA card - AMD cards have a slightly larger X so this part won't sit properly.

Also, conisidering NVIDIA designed the entire MXM cooler for HP and the fact I tried an AMD card in the Z1 (with a crappy cooler rigged up) with no luck.

HP Recommended

Who in their right minds would want to use an AMD card?  :indifferent:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.