Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-149
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I wish to upgrade my computers GPU and currently my tower has a GT-635 card. I wish to upgrade to the EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, and im wondering if it will fit in my case, be able to function, and be able to be powered sufficiently.

Furthermore, I was wondering if Im going to have to potentially upgrade the current cooling system for the CPU? Just as a side not, the power supply is 460W. Lastly, would it be possible to DIY, the upgrade if possible, or will it be too complicated?

Heresthe specific model GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), Only 6.8 Inches Graphics Card 06G-P4-6163-KR

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes, Student you can just spend some time on this post will be good for you

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3096148/gtx-1070-1080-fit-hpo-envy-700-series.html

HP Recommended

CanadianWalnut

The GT 635 is close to six inches in length and is a single slot card. The 1060 is almost seven inches in length and is a dual slot card.

You will have to verify you have additional room for the slightly longer card. Your chassis should and motherboard will accommodate a dual slot graphics card.

The 1060 requires a UEFI BIOS. Your PC has a UEFI BiOS.

You will not have to worry about upgrading the cooling system.

The 1060 requires a minimum power supply of 400 watts. You have 460 watts. Verify the power supply has a supplemental six pin PCIe connection. You will need that to power the new graphics card.

It is possible to DIY.

First uninstall the current graphics drivers. Second, you must enter the BIOS to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot.

Now, shut down. Disconnect from AC power. Depress power button to drain power from the MB.

Place the PC on a non- conductive surface. Stand on wood or tile or concrete. Avoid standing on a carpet.

Touch the chassis on occasion to reduce the chance of ESD. Depress the retention lever holding the graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot. Remove any screws holding the card to the rear input/output panel.

Remove the old card. Remove the adjacent I/O slot to allow installation of the dual slot card.

Install the new card. Connect the six pin power connector to the new card.

You should be able to post and load Windows.

Install current graphics drivers.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.