Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I want to ask what is your chipset temperature when computer is in IDLE? I want to know what can be possibly lowest idle temp for chipset, with stock heatsink, so I have some reference in my manipulations/tweks, which I'm doing right now.

Do you know what is thermal limit for chipset (like they give for processors) ?

Possibly best would be if you give value, when just enter BIOS, stay there couple of minutes and display temperatures from BIOS menu. Below attached my case.

In my case this for instance 65 Celsius degrees, even with small fan attached to heatsink. Ambient temp is 25. I'm sure it's too high.

Recently I removed heatsink and changed thermal paste, so I have doubts if that went well. It's worse than before.

chipset temp.jpg

Here you can see what I have already done: old thermal paste was 6 years old, so I decided to change it...

chipset.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the temperature limit is around 100°C.

Datasheets are available at Intel's website.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I was experinmenting to lower down Z400 chipset temperature. I don't know why, but chipset is becoming very warm only just by entering BIOS and there - temperatures. So I used it for comparisions. Chipset temperature (as stated in previous posts) is displayed under 'memory'. In my case it was easily going to 70 Celsius degrees, maybe I worried unnecessairly, but I wanted just to play a bit.

Here are my conclusions:

- once I touched it, I did a little worse. I don't know why it happened, but it happened. Computer is 6 years old, and I was expecting thermal paste would be dry & not having good thermal conduction anymore. When I removed heatsink, original thermal paste still was there, looking not bad, and it was not completely dry as I thought it might be

- so any other kind or amount of themal paste didn't let me obtain 'original' results.

- I also did use kind of thermal-conducting plaster, see photo bellow, it was giving nice feeling it adheres well to chpset, but it was the only positive. Temperature was above 70 Celsius degrees.

- Anyway, my plan was to attach even small fan, to dissipate heat better. And it helpded. I even played with two different ones (bigger was better, for around 4 degrees)

- now highest temperature I see is 62 degrees, whole stuff is solid as a rock.

Chipset FAN 1.jpgBIOS FAN.jpg

20161206_185129.jpg

20161206_185626.jpg

20161206_185605.jpg

20161208_181106.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.