Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
John_DP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Z600 cannot reset cmos after enabling compute.

I am the recent owner of a "new to me"  Z600 with the C2 revision motherboard.  Specs are pretty basic with one E5640, 6GB (3x2gb) unbuffered ram, a 250gb SATA2 HD, a DVDRW, and a single NVIDIA Quadro 2000.  The machine posted the first two times without incident and I booted a live CentOS 7 CD and everything was working fine, so I installed it and everything went perfectly.  In fact, I can't recall such an easy linux install, ever.  Then, I rebooted again and entered the BIOS to enable hyperthreading.  While in the BIOS, the genius in me could not help but play around.  At some point I enabled compute for both of the x16 slots.  I know, I know, big mistake.  When I rebooted again, I was introduced to the six beeps of death.  To me enabled meant allowed, not mandatory.  I reseated the card, cleared (or attempted to clear) the CMOS and the offending setting about a  hundred times following the official procedure then any other I could find to no avail.  I found a thread with the exact same issue which mentioned having to wait for the stored energy in the system to bleed off and pressing the power button several times before pressing the CMOS reset button.  It worked for others; but, not me.  I have tried everything, moving the card, changing the card to one that supports CUDA (but, I enabled both slots...), I have powered down the machine, unplugged the power cord, removed the power supply, waited 8 hours, pressed the CMOS reset button for 10 seconds, three times and I still have the six beeps.  Unless my machine contains some secret alien technology, I am lost.  How do you clear the CMOS?  I have tried every procedure, theory, guess, chant, and encantation I know.  I started building computers when Jimmy Carter was Preident and I have seen it all, almost.  The only other option I can see is a PCI 1.0 VGA card so I can get back into the BIOS.  Any ideas or advise would be appreciated.   It's a great machine and I want it back!

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
109 6 11
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post

I don't know the exact positon of the CMOS RESET switch, but you can remove the battery to set BIOS defaults.

Don't forget to unplug the power cord, no need to remove the power supply or graphics card.

Put back the battery after a few minutes and power on the machine.

Video should be back now and all BIOS settings (including time and date) are lost.

0 Kudos
John_DP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post

Thank you for responding.  Pulling the CMOS battery was one of the 1200 things I tried as that was a popular method back in the Dark Ages circa 1985.  I was sure that would work as it always worked for me before.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
109 6 11
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post

you should test the quadro card with another computer.

The six beeps say that either the graphics card or the system board is faulty (pre video graphics error).

0 Kudos
John_DP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post

Thank you.  I thought about that too.  I don't have another computer to test the card in but it was working perfectly before I messed up the BIOS.  I did try another "good" video card that got six beeps also.

I have a new procedure in mind that I will try today.

0 Kudos
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
234 35 65
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post

John_DP, you said you tried 1200 things, but did you try to put a graphics card in Slot3?  It is a PCIe x8 (x4 electrical), but it should be an open-ended slot so a x16 card will fit (if I remember correctly).  Or try a PCI-32 graphics card? 

FYI, the normal way to clear CMOS is to pull the AC power cord, wait at least a minute, then push the yellow button.  CMOS will not be cleared if the AC power cord is plugged in.  Removing the AC power cord and removing the bettery will also clear CMOS. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
ddinh001 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post

I have the exact same problem. I was trying to get dual Video card working and turn on the compute setting on the PCI express and now it beep 6 times and flashing red. Did you find a way to get it working again? Please share.

I have remove the battery and power cable and did all the thing in the manual and it is still not working. Press the reset cmos hundred of time. Hold it down a lot of time as well while the cable is unplug.
0 Kudos
DanielHuang Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post

I have the same problem currently, did you fix that problem? My Z600 can not use since the six beeps. I hope you can hep me. Please

0 Kudos
DanielHuang Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post

Did you fix that problem, I have the same problem, COMS cannot be reset, any ideas?

0 Kudos
Aal-Auantum Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post

6 BEEPS-working graphics card on other computer thats mean dead board >>sorry i have the same problem 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation