Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 10 (874 Views)
Accepted Solution

bios

[ Edited ]

Who can help with this predicament? After upgrading from 8GB to 16GB, I have the exact same memory being used by the computer (7.96 MB).

I upgraded RAM from 4-2MB DIMMs to 4-4MB DIMMS (all PC3-10600, DDR3-1333 non-ECC, unbuffered, 1.5v, CL9, etc.), fitted to motherboard “Iona(MS-7613)GL8E”, stock for desktop system HPE-127c Pavilion Elite (SN [edited personal product info]; PN AY600AA-ABA)).

BIOS sees all four-4GB memory sticks, yet lists only 7.96GB memory “installed” (see photo). Operating system is 64bit Windows Home Premium. It sees “16GB (7.96 useable)” of memory, probably reading directly from the BIOS. Motherboard and operating system both should be compatible with 16GB RAM. “Maximum memory” box is unchecked, as some forums have asked.

The BIOS is the most current found on the HP website (AMI 5.15 6/25/10). Refreshing the BIOS has no affect. I cleared the CMOS, as well, to no affect.

14-01-19 BIOS Image.jpg

After spending 1.5 days afraid to admit failure, I called HP service, who shunted me to their “HP-Smart-Friends”; whom I then paid to look at the problem. The software people couldn’t resolve it, and shunted me to the hardware people. The hardware people came to the conclusion, “there was nothing they could do for me”.

So, it looks to me as if I have an HP product with specifications for which their BIOS can’t actually handle – that is, 16MB of RAM. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: bios

Thanks, I tried previously each of the steps you thought about with no results . . . and for reference, the screen shot commsurate to the one you supplied is below. 

With RMA on memory guarantee in hand, I went at it again today, repeating every potential fix and combination, one last time, to rule out every possibility and sequence; . . . and got something. So with regard to the screen shot below, and BIOS, reporting 16MB installed (7.96 useable), in my case, turned out to be a pointer ---- to bad RAM!!   

Previously, I swapped memory around 3 times. All 3 times it reported 16MB installed, with only 8 MB accessible. I did not try mixing the new with the old, since all 16 MB reported present. However once, the very first time I installed the new RAM, the BIOS reported only two DIMMs populated, which I figured was a seating problem. So, I pulled hem out and reinstalled them (and rearranged them as well, trying to kill two birds with one stone). All four DIMM slots then reported populated. So, doing what I thought cured a seating problem, and confirmed 16MB installed - to me indicating no bad RAM - turned out to obscure to me completely, the fact that one of the sticks had a problem.

I found out only by mixing my old 2MB RAM with the new 4MB, and checking the BIOS each time. It took me 7 combinations of old and new RAM to see narrow the problem to two of four motherboard slots (which I thought still was a motherboard or BIOS problem), and a total of 14 combinations to isolate the problem to a single stick of the new RAM -  not working, but registering as installed.

So, I have 14MB RAM now (3x4MB + 1x2MB), and am sending the bad one back.

Thank you both for takng your time with this. I consider it resolved.

David

ScreenShot SysInfo.png

View solution in context
Retired
Message 2 of 10 (839 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello DavidB01,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

You provided a very thorough post concerning your upgrade from 8 GB RAM to 16 GB RAM, but you are missing a few critical pieces of information. I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number we can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Which Windows operating system am I running?

Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the requested information and I would be happy to provide you with assistance. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Tutor
Message 3 of 10 (833 Views)

The Product Number is the last number in the 2nd paragraph of my post: PN AY600AA-ABA. 64 bits is written in the 2nd line of teh 3rd paragraph. The Windows Home Premium also written there is Windows 7.

Untitled.png

Retired
Message 4 of 10 (826 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again DavidB01,

I was making sure that I had the correct information about your computer. I am providing you with a link to the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-127c Desktop PC Product Specifications page. The page indicates that the computer only supports up to 8 GB RAM. The problem is not in your RAM, but in what the motherboard can support.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Tutor
Message 5 of 10 (820 Views)

I've been through the Specifications many times, and that's not what it says. What is says is this HPe-127c packaged product is supplied with 8MB RAM; under the memory upgrade specification it gives "supports up to 16MB".

Retired
Message 6 of 10 (815 Views)

Hello again DavidB01,

You are correct I do apologise for my slip there. I have looked further into your issue and have seen in happen in another thread that was unresolved. One of the steps I did not see done was to reset the BIOS. I providing you with an HP Support document: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) where you will see a section titled "Clearing the CMOST settings". Following the steps set out there will guide you to resetting the BIOS back to its factory settings.

You appear to have all the correct hardware and it should be working. Please re-post with the results of this step. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
Message 7 of 10 (812 Views)

I followed those steps with the jumper, to clear the CMOS, prior to my initial post, to no effect.

Many BIOS have a memory remapping feature. Is there any resource that identifies undocumented (i.e. unpublished to customers) features for this BIOS that might have a process for such procedure?

Retired
Message 8 of 10 (808 Views)

Hello again DavidB01,

Unfortunately, there are no undocumented processes as you put it that I am aware of. I will look into this further to see if I can find a solution, but at this time I am at a loss everything appears to be in order yet it is still not working.

I will keep looking into this and will re-post if I find anything. Thank you for your patience. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Master's Graduate
Message 9 of 10 (786 Views)

This is a tough one. The Motherboard supports it but there are a bunch of thoughts running through my head here....

but none of them make sense in what is going on.

First thought - Home Basic only supports 8GB, Home Premium 16GB - you show a picture of your system info ... you have Premium... ok so that isn't it....

second thought - possibly bad RAM - but it reports it so that may not be it - but I'd try it anyway. I know... pain in the behind but try installing the sticks in a different order to see if it changes.

third thought - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610 - but you already tried the stuff...

I no longer have one of these kicking around in my lab so I can't do any hands on with it, but the specs and the info I have show that it will work, but I only had 12GB of RAM in the system but here is the screen shot from that system. I don't have the system summary info though so can't compare to yours.

System Information.PNG

Final thought here - reset BIOS to defaults - yeah I bet you did that...

I'm sorry not much help here, if I think of anything else I'll post. let me know if swapping RAM fixes anything.

good luck

bill

I'm an HP employee
Tutor
Message 10 of 10 (764 Views)

Thanks, I tried previously each of the steps you thought about with no results . . . and for reference, the screen shot commsurate to the one you supplied is below. 

With RMA on memory guarantee in hand, I went at it again today, repeating every potential fix and combination, one last time, to rule out every possibility and sequence; . . . and got something. So with regard to the screen shot below, and BIOS, reporting 16MB installed (7.96 useable), in my case, turned out to be a pointer ---- to bad RAM!!   

Previously, I swapped memory around 3 times. All 3 times it reported 16MB installed, with only 8 MB accessible. I did not try mixing the new with the old, since all 16 MB reported present. However once, the very first time I installed the new RAM, the BIOS reported only two DIMMs populated, which I figured was a seating problem. So, I pulled hem out and reinstalled them (and rearranged them as well, trying to kill two birds with one stone). All four DIMM slots then reported populated. So, doing what I thought cured a seating problem, and confirmed 16MB installed - to me indicating no bad RAM - turned out to obscure to me completely, the fact that one of the sticks had a problem.

I found out only by mixing my old 2MB RAM with the new 4MB, and checking the BIOS each time. It took me 7 combinations of old and new RAM to see narrow the problem to two of four motherboard slots (which I thought still was a motherboard or BIOS problem), and a total of 14 combinations to isolate the problem to a single stick of the new RAM -  not working, but registering as installed.

So, I have 14MB RAM now (3x4MB + 1x2MB), and am sending the bad one back.

Thank you both for takng your time with this. I consider it resolved.

David

ScreenShot SysInfo.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation