Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
virtuoboy Tutor
Tutor
15 1 3
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z240 boot issue with dual monitor setup

hp z240 Tower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Issue: Whever the system is booted/rebooted after POST, while transfering control to OS, the system goes into a pause/halt (keyboard and mouse doesn't responds)

Workaround: As soon as one of the monitors is turned off, seems control passes to Windows 7 ("Loading windows" on black screen shows up) and boots normally, now the monitor can be turned on and dual display works as usual

Additional info: While the system is paused, if the NUM/CAPS/SCROLL lock is pressed in a particular sequence (even though the lights actually don't respond), it looks like the key-press sequence gets stored in buffer. This is verfied once one of the monitor is turned off, the same keypress pattern lights up on the keyboard

Setup: z240 with 2x23" monitor connected to Display-ports, HP smartcard keyboard and mouse connected to rear USB. 

BIOS version 1.11 (SP74759)

Has anyone experianced similar issue or anyone has a fix for this?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
fdelbene Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here.

New Z240 workstation with Xeon E3-1245 v5 and two monitors HP Z24n, both attached on the motherboard's DisplayPorts.

OS: Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Sp1 with latest patches and drivers (including monitors' one), BIOS (01.24)

I found two workarounds: power down and restart, or briefly attach another DVI monitor.

I will try your trick to power off a monitor.

P.S. Initially I had the same problem using two Samsung LS22A350N monitors and HP DisplayPort->VGA (D-Sub) adapters. I thought it was a problem with the signal conversion and changed monitors.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
784 34 78
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure you update not only BIOS and drivers, but also firmware, like the Intel ME firmware (sp76976)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
fdelbene Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted HP support. They said the problem was known and resolved in BIOS 1.27.

I upgraded and it's a few days the user doesn't lament the problem anymore.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation