Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can a  z400 12g memory ,CPU Brand: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz  run a AMD Radeon (TM) R9 {msm}390 Series graphic card?

hi everyone for some reason every time I try to run games my z400 shuts down once the game is loaded, i have already replaced power unit and installed fan control and added extra fans to the front of the case, the card worked fine in an old xw8400 but for some reason keeps crashing the workstation when playing games on my Steam list, e.g total war warhammer, it will play the intro clips,  cut scenes but shuts down once the game would have loaded up, not just the big games, even budget games, I do have a DVI monitor with this workstation, where before I ran an HD monitor ,any ideas or help  I would most grateful for your help cheers all 

cheers all

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@raskoll , welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is, check to see if there is a BIOS or UEFI in the motherboard.  The R9 390 requires UEFI to run properly.  HP didn't begin using UEFI in their boards until mid-October, 2012.  The only information that I can find on your workstation says it was released in 2010.  This tells me that the card is most likely not compatible.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Cheers,mate one question how come the card worked in my older xw8400 then?

HP Recommended

@raskoll 

Q: how come the card worked in my older xw8400 then?

A: This is an excellent question to which I have to answer -- I have no explanation.  According to all that I know, it shouldn't work.  I suggest that you contact the video card manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can help you get the card to work.  They may have a VBIOS update that will help.

HP Recommended

Cheers for replying, I got the card cheap about year ago ,worked fine in the xw 8400 twin chips 32g memory 4t hard drives  but kids  wanted a i7 for there newer games,so I ended with a spare card and the card works fine running any other programs besides games it did load total war Napoleon but after a day or so started to turn the work station off ,so assumed it was power ,spare power pack did the same ,so I have ordered a 800w power unit off a mate just to see if it works lol it's becoming a bit of mission now to see if it will run games ,ether way if I have any spare money by Christmas I will have ago at building a gaming rig my self ,what mother board would you suggest to go with the card m?

Cheers Dan

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @raskoll!

I like MSI motherboards.  I did a tremendous amount of research on video cards.  I suggest that you choose a video card manufacturer that you like and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  They are the experts on their products.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.