Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-204na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi this is my first post on the forum so yeah I just wanted to ask a question about Omen desktops.

I was planning to get a Omen 870-204na for christmas (Haven't got it yet just wanted to ask a question in advance) 

I want to know what type of brands HP use for their GeForce GTX cards and if you can purchase this type of card from their store or if you have to buy it from somewhere else. Aswell as that can you just clarify what form factor of PSU does this model use and if like the graphics cards, if you can buy PSU's from their store.

I want to know this because if I was to upgrade in the future (maybe to a GTX 1070). Instead of having to search for a card which may or may not fit in the case I want to see the exact model HP use in gaming desktops that come with for example a GTX 1070 already in them so I know that it will fit in the case.

Sorry for the long question just want to clarify some things up before I buy. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

I am partial to Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and Super Flower power supplies. Gold and Platinum power supplies have better warranties and do better in reliability tests. The power supply is one of the most critical components installed in a PC. A faulty power supply can kill all installed components.

I know nothing about STX.

I have never worked with this specific HP chassis.

You have to measure both the existing power supply and the length along the PCIe x16 slot to see if a replacement power supply and a 10.5 inch 1070 will fit.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello EnderEfEx

This post is absolutely pointless...

you royaly messed up on this one. please upvote this cheers bye

HP Recommended

Hi

My advice would be to purchase what you want now.

The 870-204na ships from HP with a 300 watt power supply and RX 580R having a six pin supplemental PCIe power connector.

Nvidia 1070 cards usually require a 500 watt power supply. Some cards require a single eight pin or dual eight pin  (215 watt draw) supplemental power supply connection.

HP uses micro ATX cases. You may run into space limitations when upgrading the power supply and the graphics card.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, one last question since I recently just found out that these desktops use STX PSU’s, could I possibly upgrade the current STX power supply to a better, higher wattage power supply perhaps 550w 80+ bronze and still be able to fit a similarly sized gtx 1070 (to the current 580R) inside the pc? 

HP Recommended

Sorry for this but what I meant is that if I could upgrade the current STX PSU to a better, higher wattage STX power supply. The power supply I was looking at was https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cougar-stx-550w-80-plus-230v-eu-power-supply-black-ca-018-cu.html

Sorry for the inconvenience my bad.

HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

I am partial to Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and Super Flower power supplies. Gold and Platinum power supplies have better warranties and do better in reliability tests. The power supply is one of the most critical components installed in a PC. A faulty power supply can kill all installed components.

I know nothing about STX.

I have never worked with this specific HP chassis.

You have to measure both the existing power supply and the length along the PCIe x16 slot to see if a replacement power supply and a 10.5 inch 1070 will fit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.