Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170m CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

Despite having more than enough space for the Bios update it refuses to update. I am on the HP 8906 SMVB mobo my current Bios is F31 trying to update to F32 it's only 10.14mb and I have over 1 TB of space on the SSD. What the heck am I supposed to do when the official HP software refuses to update the Bios because somehow I don't have 10 mb to spare on my 2 tb ssd?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @E_Series2000 

The correct HP BIOS update for your MB, when run in Windows, needs scratch space in the 100 MB EFI System Partition. And HP stores the BIOS: .Bin and .Sig files in this partition to prevent BIOS rollbacks.

I guess your EFI System Partition is about full. Expanding this system partition is a separate topic and can break Windows if it is not done correctly. I am surprised Windows does not automatically expand this partition as needed.

You could try a work around to update the BIOS outside of Windows by creating a HP BIOS Recovery USB flash drive. Doing this should bypass the Windows' 100 MB EFI System Partition limitation.

You should be able to create this USB flash drive on your PC or you can use a second PC.

Watch this HP video for details on how to create and deploy a USB BIOS Recovery flash drive.

The USB BIOS recovery flash drive is used to fix a corrupted BIOS so it should work even if the current BIOS is okay. We're thinking outside of the box at this point.

But you are doing this at your own risk. You could have a bad day if this procedure causes unintended consequences.

You may be between a rock and a hard place with either previously described procedures in this response when trying a successful BIOS update using the correct BIOS file for your specific MB SSID.

Think carefully before deciding to proceed.

Opinions or troubleshooting suggestions in this response are provided independently. I am not employed by: HP, Inc. or the HP Forum.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.