Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tGoebel
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Getting the Omen to run on another computers OS?

Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I recently aquired the Omen 870-224 from best buy after my other computer died on me. I was wondering if I could use my SSD (Samsung Evo 850) which has my other computers Windows 10 on it, as the main harddrive and boot device on the Omen. That way I can use the preintalled HDD as storage and run my OS on the much faster SSD while still having the files from my other computer.

I already have plugged in my evo into the extra SATA port on the motherboard and have it running as another local drive, able to access my files and everything. But when I try to run the Omen boot proirity on the Samsung EVO SSD. The system will tell me there is no boot disk in the SSD and it does not contain an operating system. But I for sure know that I have my OS in that drive as it was the only hard drive I used for the other computer and that I can still access the windows files as it is a local drive running off the preinstalled HDD OS. 

Is there any way to have the Omen run off of the OS installed in the SSD, which I still have the win7 product key for and everything?...
Or is my best bet using the Samsung Data Migration software to move everything on the preintalled HDD to the new SSD?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Getting the Omen to run on another computers OS?

Hello @tGoebel

Good question. The answer unfortunately is no. In other systems, techs were able to do such a thing in certain situations. But in your situation, you cannot swap operating systems from a different OEM PC and have it run your Omen. The licensing is tied to the motherboard it was originally installed on.

You would need to reinstall Windows and all the programs you had before.

Of course, move any personal data to the HDD first.

You can create the HP Recovery Media to do this, but the caveate is that the HP Recovery Media looks for the same size (or larger) drive as the original. A smaller drive might not get recognized to install to.

But you can clean install to the SSD via the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, then reinstall the proper drivers from the HP download page for your model.

Either way, do make a copy of the HP Recovery Media first, just for insurance.

Create media Windows 10

Omen drivers

Let me know if you have other questions.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation