Bradyj23
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen 870-244 OMEN Control not working

870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently bought an Omen desktop. Preformed all of the updates. I attempted to do a BIOS update to version F.11Ap1. However I don't believe this was successful. Still says AMI F.11 and a date of 12/13/2016. I tried 4 or 5 times with no success. Since I have tried updating the bios Omen Control does not work. Granted the only thing to change is the color but it is stuck on Color Show which i find quite annoying. Any help (on either problem) would be much appreciated. I'd ask HP directly since I should be under warranty but HP thinks that my warranty ended before I even bought my computer.

9 REPLIES 9
krzemien
Level 7
702 684 29 159
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sort out your warranty with them - this will come handy when needed. You're not the first one and not the last one, search / browse forum for details.

With regards to the Omen Control, browse this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Re-Omen-Light-Control-issues/td-p/6249949

And this one:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/OMEN-Control-not-Controlling-LED...

It would transpire from others' responses that this problem goes away once you're upgraded to Creators Update (1703). I remain on Anniversary Update (1607) as I was not prompted to upgrade just yet. And I have exactly the same problem, it remains unresolved, case remains open with HP, I suspect Win-HP incompatibility of some sort etc.

Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,292 1,981
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @krzemien, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have omen control center issues with your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes your PC?

As you mentioned the Omen command center is not functioning correctly on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below.

You can uninstall the HP omen control center from control panel, programs and try updating the HP command center.

Link to update the omen command center.

Also, update the HP system event utility and check if it helps.

Link to update the HP system event utility.

If the issue still persists try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

You can also update other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Bradyj23
6 3 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks krezemien. So I was on the 1703 update. I read through the other threads and did the HP Recovery program. I had Omen 1.1.1 and just reinstalled it. So far it is working. If it stops working I will update. Thanks for all your help on these threads.

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
702 684 29 159
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also did upgrade to FCU eventually last week - and had a time to play with the Omen Control.

Just quick few ones here for you:

1. Do you have and use more than one user's account on your PC?

2. Do you use CPU utilisation / CPU temperature setting (scheme) in Omen Control?

3. If so, does PC remember your settings when you log off / restart?

What I spotted is that Omen Control does its job correctly and settings are retained for any other setting than CPU utilisation / CPU temperature. The latter two are forgotten the moment I restart / logoff and revert to penultimate settings I used earlier (some static colour or rainbow or no lights at all).

Also, I've found that when these two schemes are chosen, CPU usage in Windows Defender is increasing to 10%. I did write about it on Microsoft forum earlier this year:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/msmpengexe-constantly-churn...

And now I can confirm with 100% certainty that Omen Control / HP System Utility is to blame for this (at least on my PC).

Finally, I started experiencing couple of BSODs out of the blue and definitely can see a clear connection between them and CPU temperature / CPU load scheme in Omen Control. I suddenly started experiencing couple of these last week when I stubbornly tried to keep these schemes applied. I stopped experiencing them when I applied constant 'blue' setting in Omen Control app.

0 Kudos
weeman
Level 3
71 62 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am still searching for a solution, even now the software stops working and reverts back to Sequence light. MS Win 10 latest version 1709 has made it even worse. I gather the latest version of OMEN 870 suceesor has now done away with the LED and HP appears to have abandoned all past customers of OMEN 870 solve the error with sofware. Well done HP we appreciate your desertion. 

0 Kudos
Bradyj23
6 3 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Krzemien - its still working for me

1. No

2. Yes - CPU Temp

3. Yes

Ever since I reinstalled the software it works. I dont think I uninstalled it or anything so it might have just done a repair. I have not looked at CPU usage in Defender so I cannot comment on that. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

0 Kudos
weeman
Level 3
71 62 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine only works if I click manually the Control  Icon at each power up of the computer. However, after a few days it goes pear shape as usual and requires a new installation of the sofware, though not satisfactory, as it refuses to do so. Glad to hear you are more lucky with your copy. Once the warranty is up in April 2018, will cut the feed wire to the LED display, thus my computer will be the same as the current version that most probably it will be unrealiable too." HP management" keep it up with "reliability in your products and after sale service" not to hold our breaths ----- ????? 

0 Kudos
weeman
Level 3
71 62 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot, I too suffer for many months the same symptoms in that OMEN LED Control is to put it candidly "Rubbish" at the present time, but could be otherwise. I have written several times of what is required that the software shoud and must include, is a "Save to the settings made". Why can HP not arrange this to happen?, surely the person who wrote this software would be able to do so, or is it too expensive for HPto arrange this? It has come to my notice that HP has brought out a new version of the OMEN and "LED lighting is no longer a feature", well it is definitely a quick solution for HP, but not to their HP loyal past clients who bought the previous model and left high and dry to solve this malfunction with certainly no help from HP. Thank you for reading this post. 

0 Kudos
weeman
Level 3
71 62 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I gather with no further responses, that a solution is no further forward. My Windows 10 is now version 1709. weeman. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation