Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-dc1054nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 30 day free subscription to McAfee total protection just ran out yesterday.  I didn't really have plans to renew it.

For Windows 10 is the built-in Windows Defender sufficient, at least for a while ?   I suppose there will be a lot of different opinions on that.

Is it okay to simply turn on Windows Defender now, since McAfee is telling me that it has now stopped its protection ?

I noticed when I first got the laptop that Windows Defender had been turned off, because of McAfee being present.  But when it comes to deactivating and uninstalling things like McAfee and Norton that come shipped with a new PC, I've had nightmarish results in the past.  So this time I thought I might ask before I do.    I notice I could get McAfee on amazon at a decent price.  In past computers I've used Norton, but here I'm kind of tempted to use McAfee just to avoid the worry of getting it successfully uninstalled. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

McAfee does have an uninstaller tool if you want to use that to uninstall McAfee.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

It is not advisable to have two or more A/V programs installed at the same time.

After McAfee is uninstalled, you can enable Windows Defender.

Or you can purchase McAfee as you suggested.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

McAfee does have an uninstaller tool if you want to use that to uninstall McAfee.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

It is not advisable to have two or more A/V programs installed at the same time.

After McAfee is uninstalled, you can enable Windows Defender.

Or you can purchase McAfee as you suggested.

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you !!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.