Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec1073dx

Hello all,

I've been dealing with an issue of my laptop's keyboard. I've had this machine since 2021.

It began with my C and K keys dying, then over the past month, my X and V keys do not work. I'm able to circumvent this by using the On-Screen Keyboard, but it's become annoying to deal with.

Now, only two weeks ago, my computer will spam the C key repeatedly. There's no real thing that seems to trigger it, it just spams when it wants to, regardless if I have the Screen Keyboard on or an external keyboard on or not. It's becoming frustrating to the point where it interrupts my work, either slowing down my touchpad, or repeatedly opening a tool in another program.

I fear that my other keys like A may go soon. And while I'm not against getting a new laptop, I'd rather just keep this one, as exciting as a new machine can be 😄

Things I've tried include cleaning the physical board itself, starting in Safe Mode, removing the keyboard driver, and updating the driver.

I think this might be a hardware issue since I've tried solutions to similar problems others have had online, but I can't be too sure.

My laptop specs:
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec1073dx 

Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19045.4046

Microprocessor
AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics

System memory
24 GB

Memory slot 1
8GB Micron Technology 3200MHz
Memory slot 2
16GB Unknown 3200MHz

Current resolution
1920 x 1080

Refresh rate
60 Hz

Version
10.54.50.446 (1/14/2024)

Graphic device 2
AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics

Current resolution
1920 x 1080

Refresh rate
60 Hz

Version
27.20.15002.11002 (4/23/2021)

Graphic device 3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Version
31.0.15.4626 (11/21/2023)

I'll be happy to provide more info if need be! Anything to get this keyboard working again. Thank you to anyone who can help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is most likely a hardware problem and you will need to replace the actual keyboard which is not an easy fix.

The keyboard is one part with the top cover. 

As is written in the service manual

"The top cover with keyboard remains after removing all other spare parts from the computer"

The part number is         L72597-001

Example

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=L72597-001&_sacat=0

Service manual

https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633.pdf

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on yes for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is most likely a hardware problem and you will need to replace the actual keyboard which is not an easy fix.

The keyboard is one part with the top cover. 

As is written in the service manual

"The top cover with keyboard remains after removing all other spare parts from the computer"

The part number is         L72597-001

Example

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=L72597-001&_sacat=0

Service manual

https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633.pdf

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on yes for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, David!
It was nice of you to include links of the proper keyboard. 
I'll get the part and see if Geek Squad can install it for me. While I assume somehow these keys can be fixed in my current board, it'll only be a matter of time before another key dies regardless.

Either way, thanks again! 

HP Recommended

following will help you with your solution

1. Check for physical damage.
  2. Update or roll back keyboard drivers.
  3. Test with an external keyboard.
  4. Verify accessibility settings.
  5. Confirm correct keyboard layout in settings.
  6. Scan for malware.
  7. Consider System Restore if the issue started recently.
  8. Contact HP Support if problems persist.

HP Recommended

Hi Aurthur02,

My issue is 100% a hardware issue, and I've done the other solutions already to no avail, unfortunately. Hopefully, though, these tips will help others looking for a solution that isn't a hardware issue. 

Thank you for replying! 😄

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.