Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17t-w100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Some time after initially purchasing my Omen laptop over a year ago (currently out of warranty), I started having frequent video issues, where the display would turn green, and the image would multiply. The issue was prompted by video performance, so if I was playing a movie or game, the issue would kick in. 

After doing a full reset and attempting to get everything up to date, the issue subsided, but never went away totally. It now occurs almost randomly, mostly just when sitting at the deskop screen or with the browser open. Haven't had it happen in a full-screen game in a while.

Usually I just close and re-open the screen to reset it, and the issue is gone. It's getting to be more frequent again though, and I'm seeing on the forums that it has occurred for a lot of other people. Has there been any resolution to this?

Same as my issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Screen-will-ghost-and-green-screen-for-no-reason/m-p/...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Screen-ghost-green-screen-double/m-p/6576243

Similar:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Green-screen-and-double-image/td-p/62...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Omen-PC-occasional-crash/m-p/6303940/highlight/true#M1...

Seems like a hardware issue if it is occurring this frequently. I haven't observed it beeing related to any particular software.

I actually had it happen as I was writing this. It went into a full hard-lock crash, and I had to reboot.

omen screen.jpg

I have latest Nvidia drivers.

The HP support assistant does not show any updates needed.

The HP website detects my hardware successfully, and does not show any updates are available (BIOS or otherwise).

Because the issue is a little random, and possibly related to stress on the video hardware, I'm not able to check if it occurs in the BIOS.

When it initially started ocurring under stress, getting rid of HP's CoolSense software seemed to help a little bit. I suspected just letting the fans blast as hard as they needed might keep the stress/heat factor down.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@nicedwar

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there are display issues on your device,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern,

as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, the only thing you seem to have missed on (either writing or performing) is testing with an external monitor to check if that has a similar display.

If it does, this could be a video card issue or else, a LCD failure.

I recommend you test the same and if it turns out to be the video card and the issue persists on both the notebook and the external monitor, I suggest you make use of the drivers from the NVIDIA website, since the HP version of the drivers haven't help as I can see: https://hp.care/2GCB1fF

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is an interesting comment about the LCD, but becuase these issues are sometimes accompanied by crashes and lock-ups, I would think this is a video card issue, or broader hardware issue. If the display were just being wonky, I could continue to use the device. It would just be hard to see in that case.

That being said, I have never observed the issue the handful of times I have been connected to another display. I'll see if I can feed it into HDMI the next time it comes up.

As I mentioned, I have the latest Nvidia drivers. They are from Nvidia directly, not through the HP updater.

I do know that this is one of the first laptop models to run desktop Nvidia GPUs, so perhaps there are some kinks to work out. Is there a way we could esclate this issue? I am open to doing some thorough debugging to figure it out, as it appears to be a common problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @nicedwar, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Also, as you mentioned you have not check with an external display. 

I suggest you please check with an external display first and check if the issue persists.

Try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

1. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.

2. Right-click the Windows desktop background (not the Start screen) and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

Figure : NVIDIA Control Panel selection

Windows desktop menu with  NVIDIA Control Panel selection highlighted
  3. From the left menu, select Manage 3D settings, and then click Manage updates.

Figure : Manage updates

NVIDIA Control Panel showing the Manage Updates window called out.
  4. Click Get updates to ensure that your computer has all of the latest software and game profiles. When finished, click the close button to close this Window.

5. Click the Program Settings tab.

6. Click the drop down selection under "1. Select a program to customize:" and select the name of software in the list of profiles.

NOTE:

If the name of software is not in the list, click Add and browse to the software application's executable file (exe) to add the program to the list. Most software exe files can be find at the path C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files. Look for a directory that shares the same name as the software or software company at this path.

7. Once a software program is selected, select the preferred graphics processor setting that you would like to use (setting number 2).

• Select High-Performance if you want to maximize the visual appearance and speed for that software program at the cost of using more battery power.

• Select Integrated graphics if you want to use less battery power while using the software program, at the cost of an improved graphics experience.

• Select Use Global Setting if you want to let NVIDIA manage the power and display settings - to get the most out of both battery and visual effects.

NOTE:

Some settings may not be available for a software program. If a setting is not available, the NVIDIA Optimus technology does not support the software program for that setting.

Figure : Program Settings

NVIDIA Control Panel showing the Manage Updates window called out.
  8. Click Apply and close the Control Panel window when finished.

NOTE:

If you are having problems with a particular game title, consult the game manufacturer's support web site for assistance.

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure out how to fix this problem? HP support was completely useless...

HP Recommended

I was not able to fix this. I tried messing with some of the settings from the last support post, but wasn't much help. I am pretty sure this is a hardware issue that would require some more extensive investigation, but I'm not sure exactly what tools that would involve, and I don't usually have a second monitor around to try to isolate whether it's the screen or the GPU, as the first support post suggested.

Unfortunately I think I will be trying a different laptop brand when I upgrade.

HP Recommended

Alright thanks, seem more like a manufacture/ engineering issue. I highly doubt any of the support staff actually knows what to do, they just have to put up a front of "customer support" lmao.

For anyone who stumbles upon this post, turning off "hardware acceleration" in your browser seems to help a bit. Happens less often, and removes green screen effect (but there is still double image)

It also seems to happen only when you have a video tab open (youtube, Netflix, etc) So either close the tab or switch to a tab without a video to lower the chance of this happening. 

Another thing, when the screen splits you have about 5 sec before the PC locks up, forcing you to perform a hard reset. During this time quicky click on the windows icon on the bottom left and select the option to put it to sleep. The screen should return to normal when you wake it up.  Don't bother with this forum, it's a complete waste of time. They'll all just tell you to use the HP Support Assistant, who'll just run some updates and cause more issues. This is the closest thing I have to a solution, hope this helps. Probably won't buy any HP laptop anytime soon...

HP Recommended

I was finally able to hook the laptop up to a TV while the issue was occurring, and confirm that the problem does not persist across multiple monitors. So perhaps this is isolated to the laptop screen.

Forum upload is rotating this for some reason.Forum upload is rotating this for some reason.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.