Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Elitebook 2530P, Windows 10 Home

Ive just upgraded the above machine 10 Win 10 with help from this site. Everything works great except one thing, I can't turn on WiFi.

The orange LED on the touch panel under the screen and on the front edge of the machine are both orange and when I try to use the touch panel to turn it on nothing happens.

All of the other touch controls work fine so I don't think this is the problem. I don't know any other way to turn on WiFi on this machine.

The WiFi card is recognised in Windows 10 Device Manager and I have re-seated the card and made sure that the antenna cables are correctly connected.

Has anyone had any similar problems with WiFi / Win 10 not working on this model machine?

Any help or advice appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLVED

I got frustrated trying to get the WiFi working so because this was a machine I was in the process of selling and I did not have any user files to worry about I decided to wipe the Windows 10 installation and re-install Windows 7.

I did this and loaded all nessasary drivers but no matter what I did the WiFi refused to turn on. I did more research and loaded HP Wireless Assistant which told me the 'Wireless LAN' Status was OFF but the Turn On button was greyed out so I could not turn it on.

While still in the Wireless Assistant I touched the WiFi button on the touch panel and a message appeared telling me to un-plug my Ethernet cable. As soon as that was unplugged the Turn On button in the Wireless Assistant became clickable and I was able to turn on WiFi!!!

So it seems that if you connect a Ethernet cable to this HP model the WiFi system is disabled and the only way to enable it is by unplugging the Ethernet cable.

I think I will be sticking to Win 7 as I am still not sure that the WiFi card is supported under Win 10

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If you identify the wifi adapter with its PCI\VEN character string I may be able to help you. 

Open the Device manager and then click on the network adapter section. Right click the wireless adapter and select properties. In the properties window that appears you will also see if the device is operating normally. Click on the Details tab and then use the drop down under the word property to select the Hardware ids. Post the bottom string.

The following image is from my current HP product loan HP Omen 15.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry I should have provided this info in my original post.

Its described as:

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100

and has the hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&CC_0280

HP Recommended

There does not appear to be one for yours for Windows 10 at Intel. 

Try the Windows 8.1 software drivers download from Intel , but install it in troubleshoot compatibility mode.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70970/Intel-WiFi-Link-5100

Right-click the downladed driver software and select troubleshoot compatibility.  

Select your previous OS and then click on test.

If it works, just exit the troubleshoot compatibility window and you should be good to go.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Unfortunatley the Win 8.1 drivers do not work.

HP Recommended

Hi:

This post shows what driver the last person is using on his that works...

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78025?start=0&tstart=0

See if this W7 driver works...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_99014_2

HP Recommended

The first link seems to provide conflicting information, that on one hand the WIFI adaptor is not compattible with Win 10 and the last message shows a screen shot of the adaptor as being installed OK.

This is the same as my situation, the screen shot could have come from my installation as it shows the same condition as mine. The adaptor seems to be installed OK but it cant be started by any means (I cant turn it on)

I will try the Win 7 drivers but at the moment and after further research I'm not hopefull. Intel forums seem to indicate that this adaptor is NOT compattible with Win 10

HP Recommended

That really is odd that the 5100 doesn't work.

I have a HP nc6400 with the Intel 3965 wlan adapter and it works great on W10.

I have a HP 6910p with the Intel wifi link 4965 wlan adapter and it works great on W10.

I have a HP 6930p with the Intel wifi link 5300 wlan adapter and it works great on W10.

I did have to change one of the advanced settings for the 5300 in order to have it connect to my router.

It just kept hunting for a connection.  I can't for the life of me seem to remember what setting it was.

Check the service manual for the 2530p, which is basically the same notebook as the 6930p but with a smaller display.

See if the Intel wifi link 5300 is a supported wlan card and if it is, get one in used but tested and working condition on eBay.

Query by the part number and only get one that shows the HP part number on the 'replace with HP spare' sticker on the card.

Back in those days, installing any wireless card other than the ones listed in the service manual did not work.

HP Recommended

SOLVED

I got frustrated trying to get the WiFi working so because this was a machine I was in the process of selling and I did not have any user files to worry about I decided to wipe the Windows 10 installation and re-install Windows 7.

I did this and loaded all nessasary drivers but no matter what I did the WiFi refused to turn on. I did more research and loaded HP Wireless Assistant which told me the 'Wireless LAN' Status was OFF but the Turn On button was greyed out so I could not turn it on.

While still in the Wireless Assistant I touched the WiFi button on the touch panel and a message appeared telling me to un-plug my Ethernet cable. As soon as that was unplugged the Turn On button in the Wireless Assistant became clickable and I was able to turn on WiFi!!!

So it seems that if you connect a Ethernet cable to this HP model the WiFi system is disabled and the only way to enable it is by unplugging the Ethernet cable.

I think I will be sticking to Win 7 as I am still not sure that the WiFi card is supported under Win 10

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was and how to overcome it.

I guess the other thing you can also do would be to go into the BIOS and disable the lan/wlan switching option so the wireless card is always on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.