Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0818no
Microsoft Windows 11

My laptop often freezes while gaming or doing other tasks after gaming, it usually freezes while playing games such as Apex Legends or The Crew 2, as those games have intense graphics, but oftentimes it can also freeze while playing something way less demanding. Sometimes it also freezes multiple times in a row after it has already freezed once, even while idle. Some days it doesn't freeze at all, other days it freezes when almost any game is ran. It doesn't BSOD, it simply freezes, sometimes the screen just stays on the last frame, and sometimes it goes black or starts glitching with horizontal lines going all over the screen. I'm not sure if it's a heat issue as it can freeze when idle, though it only freezes while idle if it has freezed earlier. Please help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @gab_3,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Gaming Pavilion 15-cx0xxx Freezes Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

Please try the following Troubleshoots steps. 

1.    Turn off the Unit.

2.    Disconnect the AC adapter.

3.    Remove any discs from the disc drive.

4.    Remove memory cards from the card reader slot.

5.    Disconnect all nonessential peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, and USB flash drives.

6.    Disconnect the AC adapter press and hold the power button for approximately 15 seconds.

7.    Reconnect the AC adapter, and then turn on the computer.

Step 2

Turn off the unit and please press and hold the Windows key + letter B key and the power button together for 30 seconds after 30 seconds, 1st release the power button but keep holding the Windows key and B key for ten more seconds and then release these two keys If done correctly, you will see the display flashing once. Please attempt it thrice as this step and Restart the unit

Step3

The unit has to be turned off, Press Win+ V while holding these two keys then Press the Power button, continue to hold all three keys for 30 seconds and then release the Power button first and then release these two keys Please attempt it thrice  and then you may get a Pop-Up CMOS Check and it will restart the unit 

Even if you don't get a Pop-up restart the unit manually after 3 attempts.

the FPS is dropping while playing the games.

There are many ways to increase FPS and system performance: 

Update the BIOS. 

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS 

Update the graphics driver. 

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card. 

Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS. 

Close any applications or programs that are not being used. 

Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 

After the above  troubleshooting steps if the unit  turns on 

Please  update Windows and HP support assistances updates 

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

I followed all your steps and it stopped crashing for a few days, however that couldve just been a coincidence. I am not sure. It's now crashing again and I dont know what to do.

HP Recommended

Hi @gab_3,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Gaming Pavilion 15-cx0xxx Freezes. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

I see that you have already tried the troubleshooting steps thank you for trying the steps 

I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.