Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 (2T3A6AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

A HP Omen laptop 15-en1xxx that I have bought within the last few days is making a high pitch almost whistling type noise when the fans turn on (more specifically, this noise appears around 2000rpm. 

It is extremely distracting and I would either like to see if it can be fixed. If not, I will have to return the laptop.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @ShivNavekar,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're experiencing a high-pitched noise coming from the fan of your HP Omen laptop when it runs above 2000rpm, there are a few potential causes and solutions you can try.

• Dust or debris: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate inside the laptop, affecting the fan's performance and causing unusual noises. Try cleaning the vents and fan using compressed air to remove any obstructions.
  • Fan malfunction: It's possible that the fan itself is faulty or damaged. In this case, you may need to contact HP's customer support or an authorized service center to have the fan replaced.
  • BIOS update: Occasionally, manufacturers release firmware updates, including those for the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), that can address fan-related issues. Check the HP support website for any available BIOS updates for your specific laptop model.
  • Power settings: Adjusting the power settings in your laptop's operating system might help alleviate the issue. Open the power settings and make sure the cooling policy is set to "Active" or "Max Performance" to ensure the fan runs appropriately at higher temperatures.
  • Software interference: Certain software applications or processes can cause excessive CPU usage, leading to increased fan speeds and noise. Check the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc on Windows) to identify any resource-intensive applications and close them if necessary.
  • Cooling pad: Consider using a laptop cooling pad or stand to improve airflow and dissipate heat more effectively. This can help reduce the fan speed and potentially minimize the noise.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have updated the BIOS and the problem still persists. I have updated windows and drivers also. The laptop is new (ordered on the 19th June, arrived on the 22nd June). 

I have set the system cooling policy to active and that has not helped.

I believe it is the fan, or the fan interfering with an internal component, and is thus a hardware fault. I would like a refund. I have included a link to a video that further shows the issue:

https://youtu.be/5ljCFlLNyDY

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.