Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ak011na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am thinking of buying this laptop but as it is new the details on the web site seem incorrect. I have called HP sales about this and they have as far as I can tell just told me what the website already says. Can anybody tell me if you can upgrade the memory in this laptop? According to the maintenance manual it appears to have two Dimm slots and only uses one. According to HP sales it only has one. According to the website and sales the network port is 10/100. Really? If this is true I didn;t realise anybody made anything nowadays that wasn't capable of 1Gbps. Any accurate help would be great. I can't even find any quickspecs on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its definitely 10/100 wired ethernet which is actually still pretty common on lower price point laptops. It is also definitely 2 memory slots and you access them by removing the bottom cover. Motherboard removal not required. 16 gigs maximum RAM. You have seen the Service manual so I will not post that. I also am not seeing specific specs for that particular model other than this:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/MobileProduct.aspx?id=P0S80EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#merch-tech-specs

At 699 UK pounds or about $1100 bucks it is a pretty good deal. You have a 128 gig M.2 SSD and also a storage drive, nVidia 950 graphics with a full HD non-touch display, and a pretty gnarly CPU. It beats out the cheapest Omen without the fancy trappings by about $400 and ought to run right up with it if not a bit better. I have an Omen HP loaned me to help with my work here. It has a touchscreen but I find that superfluous and would gladly do without it particularly for a $400 discount. 

You honest to goodness do not really need 16 gigs of RAM but you can add another 8 gig module if you wish. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

73 REPLIES 73
HP Recommended

Its definitely 10/100 wired ethernet which is actually still pretty common on lower price point laptops. It is also definitely 2 memory slots and you access them by removing the bottom cover. Motherboard removal not required. 16 gigs maximum RAM. You have seen the Service manual so I will not post that. I also am not seeing specific specs for that particular model other than this:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/MobileProduct.aspx?id=P0S80EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#merch-tech-specs

At 699 UK pounds or about $1100 bucks it is a pretty good deal. You have a 128 gig M.2 SSD and also a storage drive, nVidia 950 graphics with a full HD non-touch display, and a pretty gnarly CPU. It beats out the cheapest Omen without the fancy trappings by about $400 and ought to run right up with it if not a bit better. I have an Omen HP loaned me to help with my work here. It has a touchscreen but I find that superfluous and would gladly do without it particularly for a $400 discount. 

You honest to goodness do not really need 16 gigs of RAM but you can add another 8 gig module if you wish. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Wow. A positive answer. Thank you. I was after this laptop not to play games to be honest but to use for media and to run several VM's (not all at once) so was hoping it could do that. With the CPU I would hope so. Any comments or recommnedations?

HP Recommended

Well you don't really need the video card for that. But with 16 gigs of RAM it should handle those tasks well. The price is right in line with other i7 laptops having similar specs. 

HP Recommended

Hi.

Do you know what is the size of the m.2 ssd slot in this notebook?

HP Recommended

I have not seen one so I can't say from personal experience. You have the Manual. I would look up the HP Part No. for the 128 gig mSSD disk and google it to get a picture and figure out what length it is. 

HP Recommended

I just found this in the manual:

M.2 SATA-3 (NGFF): ● SSD, 256GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC

Guess it must be a 2280 size then.

HP Recommended

Agree

HP Recommended

i have also been looking at this laptop to purchase

can you tell me why the memory module are classed as authroised service partners on the service guide, ie IT people are not allowed to open it up to access the memory, or if i was to take the bottom cover off will my warrenty be void as i have accessed a part not authroised.

also please can you tell me were the OS is installed, is it installed on the  1TB 5400 RPM SATA drive or the 128GB M.2 SSD

thanks

HP Recommended

it is a 128GB M.2 SSD

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04865575.pdf

i am trying to find out if the Windows 10 64bit is installed on this or weather it is installed on the 1TB 5400RPM SATA drive, and also if the OS is installed on the SATA can it be installed on the M.2 SSD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.