Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I think that is a legitimate question but there would be no reason to have a 128 gig mSSD for anything other than the OS. I am sure the M.2 has the OS and the mechanical drive is for storage. 

HP Recommended

i totally agree with you, but the HP as no documenation to say were the OS is installed Pre-sales can not help Tech support can not help, neither could sales.

in regards to my second question in regards to non-authroised service partners accessing the memory modudle, will this void a warrenty.

HP Recommended

Quite honestly I got fed up with the pure lack of information. I have always bought HP and stayed away from Dell. This time due to the lack of information and the fact you can't customize anything (unlike the HP US store) I have in fact bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000. Yes it is more money but having had a look at the information available for it, it looks a far better machine. Especially twin fans.

HP Recommended

Do like HP products, Dell are the same in regards to ask them a question and no one can seem to answer it.

HP Pavilion 15-ak011na Gaming Laptop, I cannot find on the US store, only on the HP UK store at the moment, but the HP US store will more than likely get it, and US customers will be able to customise it, were the UK are unable to.

Two big things I have found with this laptop is the NIC card only does 10/100mbps, no 1Gbps, which in theory don’t make it worthwhile, and also the memory module are classed as non-customer accessible, authorised service partners only.

I am in two minds do to buy one, do I wait for them to bring out a 2nd generation of laptop were the memory module is customer accessible and an improved NIC card can handle 1Gbps, or they bring out a whole new one in a few months that this so much better.

HP Recommended

The trend is actually away from customer upgradeable anything these days. I looked at the service manual and memory access is not actually too bad and HP has let us know that as long as you do not damage the laptop the warranty will still be honored if you open it up to increase memory or install a different hard drive. Also don't expect they will put out a model with gigabit ethernet. I really can't see why that is a deal killer. The only thing gigabit allows you to do better is move big files across a file sharing network. Internet and most tasks do not require and are not improved by gigabit ethernet. This is a heck of a laptop at a price that is going to be hard to beat. As I said the basic hardware specs are very similar to the Omen at $400US less. 

HP Recommended

Ok, i have also studied the service manual as well, in regards to upgrading the memory module and changeing the SATA hard drive, to something faster.

i only wanted a 1Gbps as it means i can move larges files as specficed.

HP Recommended

You can always get a gigabit USB 3.0 adapter. 

HP Recommended

that what i am going to do, look forward to purchasing this product from HP, when it is back in stock.

thank you for your help.

i am going to go on the assumption that the c:/ drive is the 128GB M.2 SSD OS installed and D:/ drive is the 1Tb 5400RPM SATA.

HP Recommended

So does this has 1 or 2 memory (ram) slots?

Can I add in another ram of my own?

HP Recommended

Is it also safe to assume that the lower end model that does not come with a m.2 ssd would have an empty m.2 slot to install one?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.