Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@cybernick

i have not started an upgrade of my laptop yet, but will have a look at it and see if i can see what you mean.

HP Recommended

Hi evans,

I've managed to open it up.

This video link in korean helps alot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJH1CuFnzWo

HP Recommended

wow what a video, i will be following there video instead, i would like to know what the plastic thing that he has to split the cover, from the top part

HP Recommended

Called a spudger. This is the more usual kind.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Opening-Repair-iPhone-Non-Marring/dp/B00V58SOTK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qi...

He is just using a flat sheet of plastic.

HP Recommended

I just use my expired credit cards, it works too.

HP Recommended

nice idea.

the service manual has listed as 256GB or 128GB M.2 SSD, do you think that the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe 2.0 x4 Solid state drive SSD (2280), will work in this laptop and also this memory module, as the service manual just says DDR3L-1600, Samsung original 8GB 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3L-12800, 1600MHz, do you think this will work?

HP Recommended

The ram should work, but the m.2 ssd should be a sata drive, not a pcie.

HP Recommended

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these but the lack of gigabit ethernet is a real pain - I can't imagine much money was saved by leaving it out. My main question concerns RAM. The Skylake processor will handle DDR4 RAM. Does anyone know if the overall system will take DDR4 RAM and benefit from it?

Alan

HP Recommended

I know it cannot. The RAM slots are keyed for DDR3. 

HP Recommended

@huffer

Hard drives in the HP Pavilion 15-ak011na Gaming Laptop.

after having some problems with the laptop i ran some tests all passed, i did a hard drive information check.

to my shock there is SATA M.2 SSD installed but instead of a Serial ATA or NVMe PCIe M.2, which have more hard drives that can take more space.

according to the samsung semi-conductor website, they only do upto 192GB, on the SATA M.2

do you know if the laptops will be able to take a 512 GB Serial ATA 6.0 Gbps M.2 SSD or a 250GB 850 EVO M.2 SATA SSD.

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.