Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-dk2000 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

I am reaching out regarding an issue I've encountered with my HP Pavilion 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-dk2000. First and foremost, I must express my satisfaction with the overall performance of the laptop; it has truly been a great experience using it.

However, recently I've encountered a small but concerning issue related to charging. My original power adapter, rated at 150 watts, has suddenly stopped charging my laptop. Strangely, when I borrowed my friend's HP laptop power adapter, which is rated at 65 watts, my laptop began charging again. Upon returning to my original charger, the laptop resumed charging normally.

I am unsure whether this issue stems from my charging port, battery, or the power adapter itself. Could you kindly provide guidance on how to diagnose and potentially resolve this issue? Your assistance in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @UI17,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with an intermittent charging issue with your HP Pavilion 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-dk2000, which can indeed be perplexing. Here are some steps you can take to further diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:

Inspect the Power Adapter and Cables

• Physical Check: Ensure that there are no visible signs of damage such as fraying, cuts, or kinks on both the power adapter cable and the AC power cable.
  • Connection Check: Make sure the adapter connects firmly to the laptop's charging port and that the AC power cable securely connects to both the adapter and the power outlet.
  • Intermittency Test: Gently wiggle the cables and the connections to see if there’s a specific position in which the adapter fails or resumes charging, indicating a possible loose connection or internal wire breakage.

Examine the Charging Port

• Check the charging port on your laptop for any signs of damage or debris that might be obstructing the connection. Carefully clean out any dust or debris using a can of compressed air.

Battery Health Check

• Look into the battery’s health status through your laptop’s built-in diagnostics:
    • Restart your laptop and tap the Esc key repeatedly upon startup, then press F2 to enter the System Diagnostics menu.
    • Select the “Battery Test” option to check the battery's condition.
  • Monitor how the battery behaves when it's charging—whether it charges slowly, does not charge fully, or discharges unusually quickly.

Try a Different Power Source

• Sometimes issues may stem from the power outlet itself. Try connecting to a different outlet to rule out any issues related to unstable or insufficient power supply.

Update BIOS and Drivers

• Ensure that your laptop's BIOS and chipset drivers are up-to-date, as updates can often resolve hardware recognition and operational issues:
    • Go to the HP Support website, enter your model number, and download the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

Use HP Support Assistant

• Utilize the HP Support Assistant software on your laptop to find and fix issues. It can help with automated troubleshooting and might provide additional diagnostics or firmware updates that are not readily apparent.

Power Reset Your Laptop

• Perform a hard reset by turning off the laptop, unplugging all peripherals and the power adapter, then holding down the power button for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the power adapter and turn on the laptop. This can sometimes resolve electrical or firmware issues that affect charging.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.