Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wf0000 (755F7AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I am trying to connect a docking station that works with Thunderbolt 4 to my laptop using the USB-C port.

The docking station power delivery and USB works, but the 2 HDMI outputs do not work.

The docking station manufacturer tells me that this is a laptop issue. The device manager shows an unknown device.

ES124_0-1712159296418.png

I already downloaded and installed the driver for Thunderbolt from HP support. This does not change anything.

What should I do to get this to work?

FYI: Docking station is this one: https://www.coolblue.be/en/product/933695/bluebuilt-displaylink-docking-station-with-usb-c.html

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @ES124 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you're encountering issues with connecting your docking station to your laptop via Thunderbolt 4. 

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

• Check Compatibility: Ensure that your docking station is compatible with your laptop model and the Thunderbolt 4 standard. Sometimes compatibility issues can arise if the devices aren't fully compatible with each other.
  • Update Drivers: You mentioned that you've installed the Thunderbolt driver from HP support, but it might be worth double-checking if there are any other driver updates available for your laptop. Sometimes, outdated drivers can cause connectivity issues.
  • Thunderbolt Security Settings: In some cases, Thunderbolt security settings might be restricting the connection. You can check these settings in your laptop's BIOS or UEFI firmware. Ensure that Thunderbolt security settings are configured to allow Thunderbolt devices.
  • BIOS/UEFI Update: Check if there are any BIOS or UEFI firmware updates available for your laptop. Sometimes, firmware updates can address compatibility issues and improve device connectivity.
  • Verify Cable and Ports: Ensure that the USB-C cable you're using to connect the docking station to your laptop is in good condition and supports Thunderbolt 4. Also, try connecting the docking station to different USB-C ports on your laptop to rule out any port-specific issues.
  • Check for Firmware Updates on Docking Station: Some docking stations require firmware updates for proper compatibility and functionality. Check if there are any firmware updates available for your docking station and apply them if necessary.

Refer to this document:  OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wf0000

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

Check Compatibility:

The device works fine on another laptop with 2 Monitors through Thunderbolt 4.

Update Drivers

I indeed updated.

Thunderbolt Security Settings

I will check this.

BIOS/UEFI Update

I will update this.

Verify Cable and Ports

Already checked both USB-C, both do not work. Cable works on another laptop.

Check for Firmware Updates on Docking Station

Is updated and works on another laptop.

Will return with hopefully a solution.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.