Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx

My HP Omen gaming laptop can handle low intensity games such as TF2 without overheating to where the screen blacks out but games such as Fortnite with more effects and such causes my laptop to overheat and have the screen black out while all signs of the computer say its online (power is on, fan is on, sound works) and the only way i've found to fix this is by forcing it to power off which works but then a few minutes in it does the same thing. I have all effects and every other thing set to off or low in Fortnite but it still does this. I also have 3 fans on my computer (seperate from the one built in) and it seems to not work as well

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Fake_Computer

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an OMEN by HP - 17-an0xx laptop. I read that the screen blacks out while playing low intensity games. Secondly, while playing graphic intense games, the laptop overheats. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Let me know if the laptop overheats while not playing games?

Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop recently?

During my research, I came across the following steps that should help us in fixing this issue:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

Also, the steps from this HP document helps in fixing overheating related issues in Windows 10: https://hp.care/2JwWCM5

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended
Didn’t work, sorry.
HP Recommended
It made it worse
HP Recommended

@Fake_Computer

Thank you for your reply.

Ideally the steps suggested should not make the situation bad. However, if you have already updated the BIOS and performed all the steps from the earlier post then I suggest you to contact our HP phone support team to explore the available service options:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope things work out well. Please keep me posted for any further questions.

Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.