Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi! I have Victus HP Gaming Laptop 15-fb0xxx. So my question is that is it ok to not remove charger when the battery gets fully charged or should i remove charger when the battery gets fully charged. Sorry if it is a silly question. This is my first laptop and i don’t want to damage it or my parents gonna kill me.

As some of my friends say that it will affect the battery health.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Opinions are mixed on this -- and I have not seen any study that is not biased by the folks doing it.

I have kept an old HP laptop plugged in for YEARS and got 5 years out of the battery -- which is fairly standard.

I know of folks that have kept newer HP laptops plugged in all the time and they have not reported any battery issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @sandhyaop3 

Yes, there are many differing opinions regarding leaving the charger connected when the battery is fully charged.

Here's my opinion...

It is not a silly question...leaving a notebook that comes with an internal battery such as yours, plugged in 24/7/365 leaves the battery in a constant 100% charge state, which may lead to battery swelling--a fairly common problem in notebooks with internal batteries.

See these links for how to get the most life out of your notebook's battery.

HP Notebook PCs - Improving battery performance (Windows) | HP® Support

4 Ways You're Damaging Your Laptop's Battery (howtogeek.com)

HP Recommended

Ok! But I watched a lot of you tube video. After i post the question and the you tube videos says that in the newer gaming when the laptops get full charged, They start to get direct supply means that now the charger is not charging the battery but is directly charging the laptop. I don't  know if its true or not but lot of youtubers are saying.

HP Recommended

It's true.

The charger stops charging the battery when the battery level is 100%.

The problem is if you never disconnect the charger, the battery will always be at 100% which is not good because of what I mentioned the other day...the potential for battery swelling.

Do a search on this forum for that.  You will find hundreds of posts regarding swollen batteries.

Do you want to deal with that?  I wouldn't

Search - HP Support Community

HP Recommended

I have seen videos in which they have limit there battery to charge only 80%. I cannot find this option in my bios.

HP Recommended

Your notebook has no option to limit the charge. 

Only select HP business class notebooks have that feature. 

Your notebook may have a battery optimizer setting, and if it does, you may want to enable that setting. 

HP Recommended

Yes i think i have "Adaptive Battery Optimizer" and this is already enabled. But what does this option do?

HP Recommended

The Adaptive Battery Optimizer info was included within that HP link I posted.

HP Gaming Laptops - Introducing Adaptive Battery Optimizer, Designed to Prolong Battery Lifespan | H...

HP Recommended

Now what should i do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.