Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-an053nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Can anyone help me out? Can anyone tell me the differences between an Omen X laptop and a Omen laptop. The only thing I could see was the lid design. Omen laptop has the smooth part on the top and bottom of the X. The Omen X laptop has the smooth side on the left and right of the X.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To continue, mine is on order but I looked at them both and decided there was enough difference to go Omen X and its higher price.  As mentioned above, each key and each segment on the lid have RGB lighing that can be customized indivually.  I think the Omen comes with red only lighting with off, dim and bright settings for everything as a whole.  Its just a gee whiz thing, but helped sway me.  I wanted a different color as I see double when I look at red lights.  I think it is an astigmatism thing.

The product you are looking at has one Thunderbolt port.  It also has a 4k display that is an option on the Omen X.  Reading reviews, the standard 1920x1080 display on the Omen X seems to be more desireable for gaming because of its 120 Hz refresh rate and GSync.  There is also a fairly new option for a 144 Hz 1920x1080 GSync display.  When I contacted HP sales by chat to get more info in it they referred me to tech support who were clueless. 

There are probably other differences between the Omen and the Omen X.

One thing really suprised me on my order.  It is shipping from Chongqing China.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @TNG4L

Three main differences the X version has over the previous Omen laptops since 2016 are...

First overclockable Omen laptop.

RGB lighting (with the exception of the old 5000 series)

GTX 1080 available.

And Im waiting for verification on this one but...

Although the previous Omens support G-Sync, their display panels don't actually have the Nvidia chip embedded in it. So you can only get actual G-Sync on supported external monitors.

The X supposedly is the "only" one with G-Sync working in the built in display.

This is according to a recent chat with an HP Rep. Im still awaiting the verdict.

HP Recommended

In addition to the above, the Omen X has a mechanical keyboard and comes standard with two Thunderbolt USB-C ports.   I don't know what keyboard the Omen has and some models get one Thunderbolt port with a camera upgrade option.  A DVD drive is not an option on the Omen X as the space is taken up by the cooling system for the CPU and GPU. 

HP Recommended

To continue, mine is on order but I looked at them both and decided there was enough difference to go Omen X and its higher price.  As mentioned above, each key and each segment on the lid have RGB lighing that can be customized indivually.  I think the Omen comes with red only lighting with off, dim and bright settings for everything as a whole.  Its just a gee whiz thing, but helped sway me.  I wanted a different color as I see double when I look at red lights.  I think it is an astigmatism thing.

The product you are looking at has one Thunderbolt port.  It also has a 4k display that is an option on the Omen X.  Reading reviews, the standard 1920x1080 display on the Omen X seems to be more desireable for gaming because of its 120 Hz refresh rate and GSync.  There is also a fairly new option for a 144 Hz 1920x1080 GSync display.  When I contacted HP sales by chat to get more info in it they referred me to tech support who were clueless. 

There are probably other differences between the Omen and the Omen X.

One thing really suprised me on my order.  It is shipping from Chongqing China.

HP Recommended
Thank you. Unfortunately, I asked a little two late. I decided to just go with the regular one which is on its way to me. Kinda gives me buyers remorse. LOL. Who knows. I have 30 days from the day I receive it to make up my mind on whether to go all out with the X. Thank
HP Recommended

Hello

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

One of the major differences are Omen X gaming laptop includes easy access to upgrade parts.

DISPLAY :

HP has opted for a 17-inch 4K display for the top model, or a 120Hz 1080p display for those who want more performance instead of a higher resolution. Both configurations are Nvidia G-Sync enabled, and you can pick models with up to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (factory overclocked) inside. You can connect two external displays, and there’s even support for overclocking both the GPU and RAM.

MEMORY :

One of the more unique aspects of this Omen X is the ability to easily upgrade some of its parts. HP is providing single panel access to the HDDs, SSDs, and RAM, making it easy to upgrade all three with just a Philips screwdriver. Otherwise, it’s a relatively standard high-end laptop.

CPU AND GPU:
HP is using Intel’s 8th generation Core i7 CPUs inside, While the base model ships with a GTX 1070 with a 1080p display, 16GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD / 1TB HDD , you can go all the way and get a GTX 1080 with 4K display, 32GB of RAM, and 2 x 1TB of SSD storage / 1TB HDD. The top model also includes an overclockable Core i7- processor

OTHERS :
On the laptop itself HP is using mechanical switches for its keyboard, producing 2.5mm of key travel. Each key also has a customizable RGB LED for programming lighting animations, and there’s an oversized space bar you can reach for during frantic gaming sessions. Connectivity includes three regular USB ports, two USB-C Thunderbolt ports, a HDMI port with HDR support, mini DisplayPort, Ethernet, and a card reader slot.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Thanks.

Regards,
Matt

I am an HP Employee
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

The Omen X seems to be the top of the line, yet it only has i7-7700hq CPU?  Why isn't it offered with i7-8750h like the lesser models?  Last year's CPU is the only thing holding back my purchase.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.