Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 15-ax033dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The storage on my system drive is unbearable now. Since I'm upgrading the memory, I'm looking at upgrading that drive with a new m2 as well. I'm not sure if my laptop supports only sata 3 or will take the PCIe NVMe. I'm looking at getting one of the following, but I'd prefer the pcie if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2VU1FYXGEDD91&k... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZYNHPW2/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3DD4UHBB3H8CG&psc=1 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 1 of the Maintenance and Service Guide on your notebook's support page, the M.2 slot will support a NVMe SSD, such as the Samsung 970.

OMEN by HP Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP author...

You may also want to look into the newer 980 which is reportedly supposed to run cooler than the 970, but the write speeds are a tiny bit slower.

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280, Internal Solid State Drive, Storage for P...

Another good option would be the Western Digital Blue SN 570.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb...

HP Recommended

Not a problem @NonSequitur777 

I guess you aren't at the level yet where you have the option to delete your own posts?

I just had to delete one of mine a few minutes ago where I answered a question pretty much giving the same answer and came in second.

When that happens, I can delete my posts.

I will only leave a post remaining if my answer is substantially different than the first one provided.

HP Recommended

Huh, the 980 costs $99.99 while the 970 EVO Plus costs $101. From what I understand, the new one should be backwards compatible, and it would be handy in case I ever want to upgrade to a new build. Any reason I shouldn't spend the extra dollar or two? 

HP Recommended

More speed, more heat with the 970.

The higher heat output is the only disadvantage.

HP Recommended

Well, the speed boost won't work on my laptop, since it's currently a pci express x3, right? But then again, maybe I should go with the 980 for heat reasons. 

...personally, what would you all suggest? I'm curious to hear before I pull the trigger. 

HP Recommended

The Samsung 970 and the 980 are both PCIe Gen 3.

It is the Samsung 980 Pro that is PCIe Gen 4.

Personally, if it were me, I'd go with the WD Blue since it has around the same specs as the 980 and is $20 less.

Another very good option you can look into is the Hynix Gold P31.  There is a 15% off coupon box to check making it a good buy.

Amazon.com: SK hynix Gold P31 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD | Up to 3500MB/S | Compact M....

The 970 used to be Samsung's best model. 

My only complaint is that the heat output is a bit high, and you don't want that in a notebook.

I had no idea that NVMe SSD's because of their super-fast speeds, produce a lot of heat.

My first (and only) NVMe SSD I bought was a Crucial P5 which I love except for one thing...it is a toaster.

The drive idled at 55 C until I installed a heat sink on it. That cut the heat down considerably.

Fortunately, I had put that drive in a Dell desktop PC so there were no clearance issues to worry about.

The heat sink dropped the idle temp down to 42 C.

I have another HP notebook that came with a Samsung OEM drive that runs cool in the 30 C - 40 C range, but its performance it not so great.

Nowhere near what a 970 or 980 would provide.

As time has gone on, manufacturers are trying to make improvements to the cooling properties of NVMe SSD's and supposedly the Hynix P31 is one of the best on the market for running cool.

What I recommend you do is to read reviews (customer and professional reviewers) who have used these drives and have written some thorough reviews on them.

Now that I have educated myself on these things to some extent, I will be more confident that the next NVMe SSD I buy will not be a surprise.

So, I'm not saying do not buy the 970, I'm saying that it will most likely generate more heat than the other 3 I mentioned will.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.