Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello. I have OMEN by HP – 15-dc0016nw and its only 128 gb SSD disk + 1 TB HDD disk . Now diablo 4 is comming and i wanted to buy new SSD ( propably 500 gb or 1 TB ) is it even possible to replace the original one SSD 128 GB ?  What SSD disk should i buy for this laptop model ? if i buy i want a good disk that is fast.

Another question is how do i install windows 10 again on new SSD ? i have to do it with pendrive ? how does it works ? i never done such a things before. My windows 10 64 is on SSD. Is windows 10 free or i need to buy it ?

Thanks !

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@superpod92 

Your machine is a sister of my machine.

1. Replace 128GB SSD: You can replace existing 128GB using 1TB or 2TB of compatible SSD such as

https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-ssd-2tb-mz-v7s2t0bw/

2. Re-install Windows 10: You can use Cloud Recovery tools

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

or using  https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Product key is on BIOS of your machine. You don't need to buy new license key.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Im from germany, i prefer to buy it on amazon

will something from this be compatible with the laptop ?

Amazon.de : Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD

i see some samsungs 980 evo too for good price, also i want 1tb max.

Which one will be good to buy ?

HP Recommended

@superpod92 

Normally Samsung 980 drives use PCIe x4 which is faster. You can use Samsung 980 but it won't run at the designed speed.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Oh i see ok. How about installing the windows ? looks like i have some files on the recovery E disk, this will be enough ?

also do i need to take out the normal HDD disk while switching my old SSD where the windows is to the new one ?

HP Recommended

@superpod92 wrote:

Oh i see ok. How about installing the windows ? looks like i have some files on the recovery E disk, this will be enough ?

@superpod92 

It is over 4 years old now, that may not work but you can try.

You don;t need to take out the 1TB HDD when installing new SSD.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

OK so is this one correct for my hp omen 15 model ? everything match ?

Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD , 1 TB, PCIe 3.0, 3.500 MB/s Lesen, 3.200 MB/s Schreiben, Internes...

its 1 TB i dont need more 🙂

HP Recommended

@superpod92 

I am using it now.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Ok i ordered the disk and downloaded windows on my usb drive by using Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) this link 

do i also need the licence code when i install windows from this method ?

if so. where is the licence key in bios ? i cant really find it, is the the product number ? but its like xxxxxx#xxx

or can i use this command in CMD ? - wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

its xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx\

but isnt the key only for my original SSD disk ? or it will work on new one ?

I have connected microsoft account / is it enough ?

thanks

HP Recommended

@superpod92 

No, you do not need license code (product key) because it is in BIOS of your machine and it will activate itself when you come online.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.