Post new question
Question

Master's Graduate
Message 1 of 113 (12,816 Views)

HP Apps Service Retired on several printers

[ Edited ]

HP Touchsmart apps have been retired on several printers.

This affects the following HP Printers only:  

Photosmart Premium-Web C309n

Photosmart Premium C310

Photosmart eStn C510

ENVY 100/110

Photosmart 7510  

On these printers' touch screens there is a row of icons for “TouchSmart Apps” that enable printing free content like coloring pages and crosswords.  This TouchSmart Apps service has been retired on these five printers due to incompatibility with the current web services and low overall usage. 

The retirement process completed in mid-October.  

What this means:  All of the printer’s other functions will continue to work normally.  However, after the apps are retired you will no longer be able to access them on these printers. The Touchsmart app  icons on the printer touch screen will stay unchanged unless they are selected, at which point a message will appear stating that the service is no longer supported and the icon will be removed from your touch screen.  All of the apps were retired on the printers listed above by by mid-October. 

The HP Connected site has an issue that it may continue to report that apps are supported on these printers.  We are investigating that issue, but as noted, apps/printables are no longer supported on the printers listed above.

HP continues to offer our Printables service on other web-connected printers, which provides expanded app capabilities.  Visit www.hp.com/go/printables to learn more about Printables, and to see a list of some HP printers that support Printables. 

There is a complete listing of cloud services and supported printers on this page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03722645

Please contact HP Support if you have any questions or suggestions.   

IMPORTANT NOTE on eFax:  There is an eFax update to restore the eFax service on these printers:

ENVY 110/114

Photosmart 7510/7515

Go to the thread below for more information and a link to the update instructions:

Restore eFax on Envy 100/114 and Photosmart 7510/7515

I am an HP employee.
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 113 (12,773 Views)

Re: HP Apps Service Retiring on several printers

Thanks for the info @PrintApper 

I am an HP employee.
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
Grad Student
Message 3 of 113 (12,653 Views)

Very Helpful!

Intern
Message 4 of 113 (12,447 Views)

Recently received an email informing me of the retirement of TouchApps on certain printers.  I happen to be

one of those; the Envy 100.

I responded politely letting HP know of my dissapointment.  What I got in return was an email linking me to the wonderful

Apps that HP has!  I guess my email only generated a form letter that you can't respond to.

Why bother to ask for your input if nobody really cares what you think?  Bad PR!

Master's Graduate
Message 5 of 113 (12,440 Views)

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed. I encourage you to use one of the contact options at www.hp.com/go/cloudchat Monday-Saturday to contact cloud support for more information about the app retirement, and to discuss how they can help you with any concerns you have. You will find chat, phone, and email contact options there.
I am an HP employee.
Intern
Message 6 of 113 (12,396 Views)

Thank you for the response, however, I guess I have all I need to know---the apps on the Envy 100 aren't generating

enough usage, etc., so why have them, especially when the coloring pages characters are pretty much currently not

popular with kids.  I understand businesses have to upgrade, delete, and improve all the time. 

Still, it makes me feel as if you bought a vacuum cleaner & the company calls & asks for the brush attachment back,

even though it was part of the originald package.  Just feels wrong.

Thanks again.

Compugirl

Master's Graduate
Message 7 of 113 (12,394 Views)

[ Edited ]

compugirl wrote:

Thank you for the response, however, I guess I have all I need to know---the apps on the Envy 100 aren't generating

enough usage, etc., so why have them, especially when the coloring pages characters are pretty much currently not

popular with kids.  I understand businesses have to upgrade, delete, and improve all the time. 

Still, it makes me feel as if you bought a vacuum cleaner & the company calls & asks for the brush attachment back,

even though it was part of the originald package.  Just feels wrong.

Thanks again.

Compugirl

Thanks for your thoughtful response.   I can assure you this action was not taken lightly, and I am sorry about any inconvenience or concern this may cause you. 

I am an HP employee.
Tutor
Message 8 of 113 (12,215 Views)

I am in full agreement with compugirl -- a feature upon which a product is marketed should NEVER be taken away.

I'd like to also share some additional experiences and insights that really make me feel like this phase-out has been and is continuing to be handled really badly.

When I received the email announcing the retirement of the TouchSmart apps, I was disappointed, but also plenty confused.  The announcement indicated the apps were being retired, but it also talked about the "current HP printables" in such a way as to imply that they might provide replacement functionality -- if not on the printer itself, on the HP Connected web site.  The HP Connected web site does not provide clear messaging on what printers are or are not supported for Printables -- knowing what my printer model (Envy 100 d410) is, it indicates that a good 30 or so Printables are available to be added to my printer (though I *was* able to find clear information that my printer does not support the "scheduled delivery" feature -- which is fine, as I didn't have that before).

I attempted to use the email address specifically provided (in the email announcement of the TouchSmart apps retirement:  "Thank you for purchasing an HP Printer.  Please email questions or suggestions to:hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com.") to send some feedback and obtain clarification.  My email bounced back with the following error:  

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain hp.com by smtp.hp.com. [15.192.137.13].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

So... the phase-out announcement wasn't entirely clear, with its mention about the "current Printables service" that I should find out more about, that there wasn't going to be a replacement for the TouchSmart apps; the HP Connected web site doesn't identify my printer as not supported for Printables and doesn't contain a list of supported (or unsupported) printers; and the feedback email provided in the phase-out announcement just plain doesn't accept feedback.

Last night the TouchSmart Apps were finally removed from my Envy 100 d410.  I called HP Cloud Services to hopefully get a straight answer on whether they were supported at all, just broken on the server side temporarily, etc.  The technician told me that HP was experiencing a "server problem" but that there were some steps she could take me through on my side to troubleshoot.  At no point did she indicate that the Envy 100 d410 does not support Printables (or vice versa).  

She proceeded to walk me through:

1) Disabling Web Services on the printer, then re-enabling Web Services on the printer, then logging out of HP Connected and back on... (which she hadn't warned me would permanently make my printer's hpeprint.com email address unavailable for use ever again... )   I then tried again to add a Printable, and received the same ambiguous "We were unable to add this printable.  This printable may not be supported on your printer." message.

2) Doing a semi-full reset on the printer, reconfiguring it (as if it were new), then logging out of HP Connected and back on... "burning" another hpeprint.com email address permanently... After trying again to add a Printable, and getting the same result, she indicated that she would have to escalate the case and someone would contact me within 24 hours; that they would have to do some additional troubleshooting and that they "may have to send out a new printer."

Tonight I was contacted by someone following up on the case.  They told me my printer doesn't support Printables, that it was because the apps were third party apps and there's nothing HP can do if the third parties pull support for them, etc.  I asked for an address to which I could send feedback and was told "we don't get asked that very much... let me see... can I put you on hold?"  She came back and told me to go to HP.com, click "Contact Us", choose "Company", and click the "General Feedback" link, which I'm guessing is limited to 80 characters or some such nonsense, and possibly not even read by anyone.

Seriously, HP?  What terrible communication you must have, both internally and externally, for me to have had these experiences!  PrintApper -- is this really representative of the status quo at HP?  Ugh!

Master's Graduate
Message 9 of 113 (12,198 Views)

[ Edited ]

karen_sw_dev wrote:

I am in full agreement with compugirl -- a feature upon which a product is marketed should NEVER be taken away.

I'd like to also share some additional experiences and insights that really make me feel like this phase-out has been and is continuing to be handled really badly.

When I received the email announcing the retirement of the TouchSmart apps, I was disappointed, but also plenty confused.  The announcement indicated the apps were being retired, but it also talked about the "current HP printables" in such a way as to imply that they might provide replacement functionality -- if not on the printer itself, on the HP Connected web site.  The HP Connected web site does not provide clear messaging on what printers are or are not supported for Printables -- knowing what my printer model (Envy 100 d410) is, it indicates that a good 30 or so Printables are available to be added to my printer (though I *was* able to find clear information that my printer does not support the "scheduled delivery" feature -- which is fine, as I didn't have that before).

I attempted to use the email address specifically provided (in the email announcement of the TouchSmart apps retirement:  "Thank you for purchasing an HP Printer.  Please email questions or suggestions to:hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com.") to send some feedback and obtain clarification.  My email bounced back with the following error:  

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain hp.com by smtp.hp.com. [15.192.137.13].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <hpprintablesfeedback@hp.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

So... the phase-out announcement wasn't entirely clear, with its mention about the "current Printables service" that I should find out more about, that there wasn't going to be a replacement for the TouchSmart apps; the HP Connected web site doesn't identify my printer as not supported for Printables and doesn't contain a list of supported (or unsupported) printers; and the feedback email provided in the phase-out announcement just plain doesn't accept feedback.

Last night the TouchSmart Apps were finally removed from my Envy 100 d410.  I called HP Cloud Services to hopefully get a straight answer on whether they were supported at all, just broken on the server side temporarily, etc.  The technician told me that HP was experiencing a "server problem" but that there were some steps she could take me through on my side to troubleshoot.  At no point did she indicate that the Envy 100 d410 does not support Printables (or vice versa).  

She proceeded to walk me through:

1) Disabling Web Services on the printer, then re-enabling Web Services on the printer, then logging out of HP Connected and back on... (which she hadn't warned me would permanently make my printer's hpeprint.com email address unavailable for use ever again... )   I then tried again to add a Printable, and received the same ambiguous "We were unable to add this printable.  This printable may not be supported on your printer." message.

2) Doing a semi-full reset on the printer, reconfiguring it (as if it were new), then logging out of HP Connected and back on... "burning" another hpeprint.com email address permanently... After trying again to add a Printable, and getting the same result, she indicated that she would have to escalate the case and someone would contact me within 24 hours; that they would have to do some additional troubleshooting and that they "may have to send out a new printer."

Tonight I was contacted by someone following up on the case.  They told me my printer doesn't support Printables, that it was because the apps were third party apps and there's nothing HP can do if the third parties pull support for them, etc.  I asked for an address to which I could send feedback and was told "we don't get asked that very much... let me see... can I put you on hold?"  She came back and told me to go to HP.com, click "Contact Us", choose "Company", and click the "General Feedback" link, which I'm guessing is limited to 80 characters or some such nonsense, and possibly not even read by anyone.

Seriously, HP?  What terrible communication you must have, both internally and externally, for me to have had these experiences!  PrintApper -- is this really representative of the status quo at HP?  Ugh!

Karen:

I apologize for the frustration this process has caused you.   Thanks very much for your detailed feedback, I really do appreciate that. 

Regarding the email clarity (or lack thereof):

1. Apps have been retired on the printers listed in the email.  There are no options to get/use apps any longer on those printers. 

2. Apps (aka Printables) will continue to be available on other printers.  See this page noted in the email for a listing of supported printers: www.hp.com/go/printables.

I've tested the feedback email address this morning and agree that something has recently happened that is causing inconsistent results.  In my testing today in some cases the email address works fine, other times I am getting the same bounce message you experienced.  I will escalate to get the issue resolved. 

I have also forwarded your comments on your support experience to our cloud support team and follow up with them directly on Monday.   You should not have been asked to go through the steps above, that troubleshooting was not relevant.  

Please let me know if you need any additional help with this, and again, I do really appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback on this issue. 

I am an HP employee.
Tutor
Message 10 of 113 (12,183 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you -- I really appreciate your reply.  It is good to get a clear answer, and I appreciate that you will follow up internally.

To provide just a little more info: I sent email to that email address twice, both on 10/8 and on 10/24, receiving the same result each time -- both times from an email address on the gmail.com domain at home.

Also: I had been to that printables page you linked me to many times, and had never scrolled down far enough to see the list of supported printers at the bottom.  That's super-helpful, and I might suggest moving the information (or a link/jump to the information) nearer to the top of the page to make it more likely to be read.

FYI: on that linked page, in the heading text above the list of supported printers, this text appears:  "You can also check if your current printer offers printables by clicking here (look for those with a “yes” in the “Scheduled Delivery print apps” column)."  If I click that link, I go to the page that I'd previously found, which had led to a lot of my confusion:  when I expand the HP ENVY Printers section on that page, a chart appears that tells me that my HP Envy 100 d410 supports Print Apps (which, in the section above, are defined as the Printables that you are informing me are definitely not supported by my HP ENVY 100 d410).  I would expect that to be a source of confusion for most people -- could you point that out to the folks you are planning to follow up with on Monday?  Perhaps the chart could be updated to reflect the current status -- I think it would save frustration on the part of your customers.

Thanks again for the reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation