Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7858
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hello. My HP ENVY Photo 7858 keeps defaulting the photo tray to 5x7. I use the web management console to reset it to 4x6 which is the paper it has in it but it goes back to 5x7 constantly and will not stay at 4x6.  I've tried setting it via the embedded web server and directly on the device but it keeps going back to 5x7 and will not keep the 4x6 settings. Using HP photo paper as well. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@paddyryan

I have gone through your Post and would like to assist

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Please ensure the Printer has the latest Firmware. Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-envy-photo-7800-all-in-one-printer-series/model/16493624?sku...

If the issue persists I suggest we perform a Semi Full Reset and check if that helps

Since these Steps are specific to your printer I have sent the instructions to your Inbox

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already done these things. It has latest firmware and is reset.   So, problem persists. Printer keeps reverting photo tray to 5x7 even though it has 4x6 paper and I keep telling it to stay at 4x6. I did as you recommend with another reset and will need to see if it holds this time. 

HP Recommended

@paddyryan

Keep me posted 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still happens.. will not maintain 4x6 and reverts to 5x7. 
please fix this!!

HP Recommended

@paddyryan

Thanks for replying!

Does the error appear on the printer or the computer?

Have you checked the document How to Print Photos (Mac) to adjust the try settings accordingly?

If it is on the computer application that the settings change, we can try the steps below-

ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@paddyryan

Thanks for replying! This is in response to your private message.

Could you try choosing the paper size on the printer through tray settings?

Refer the link HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer Manuals for help.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is greyed out on 5x7 so cannot change it and even when it used to let me change it, it would revert to 5x7 again. This has not been fixed and has been an issue for 2 years now. Instead of telling me to do the obvious, why don't you, HP, just fix it already with a firmware update as the existing setup is broken and no amount of changing it back to 4x6 in the browser web access or Mac printer app or via the printer itself is not working. The settings do not hold at 4x6 and will always, always revert to 5x7 and I have never ever used 5x7 photo paper. This really sucks and I will not buy a HP next time.

HP Recommended

@paddyryan

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.