Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (1,637 Views)

Officejet Pro K550 Driver Failure in 10.6.8 & 10.7.4

A coworker's HP Officejet Pro K550 has stopped printing.  Initially the error codes from the front panel indicated a paper jam.  After disassembly (which is NOT easy btw) and a complete cleaning, the printer still refuses to function.  I can print test pages all day long by holding the Resume button on the front panel of the printer.  However, once I send a page to the printer from Microsoft Word, Preview, or any other program, the printer seizes and both the Power and Resume button flash as if there is a  paper jam.  There is none as no paper comes out.  Curiously, if I use a Generic PCL Printer driver instead of the HP Officejet Pro K550 driver, I can print in black and white just fine.  I've tested this on laptops running 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 with the same results.  I've reset the printing system on both machines with the same results.  I'm officially out of ideas.  Can anyone think of what's going on?

Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 8 (1,563 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro K550 Driver Failure in 10.6.8 & 10.7.4

Hi there,

This firmware update for the printer should resolve the issue you are experiencing. Give the update a shot and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (1,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

hi there,

i get the exactly same error,

i can also print by Generic PLC driver,

or output a config test page by holding power and pressing red X once on the printer.

but i always get "drucker ist belegt" which means "printer is in use" error when i try hps mac osx K550 10.7 driver !

everything works (hp utility tools to calibrate etc. stuff) except for printing from whatever application i use

what the hell is happening here? and how can i get full funtionality back?

i already have Firmware version 20061019 SPP0013H which seems like the only one i could download-

but, although i would possibly need this firmware update-

there is no way to install the firmware update,

since clever people of HP decided not to leave a tool for osx lion users,

the manual for doing firmware updates is only written for 10.4.8 users (maybe half a dozen years ago?!)

i cant find a update firmware option anywhere although i see a firmwareupdate.task plugin which seems to be for hp printer utility.... but i cant use it sensefully ....

what are you up to? making me crazy? making people buy new stuff?

is there any solution in sight? 

Honor Student
Message 4 of 8 (1,528 Views)

now i found the firmware update option via option key + f key + d key

but that firmware update didnt solve ANYTHING

by the way

the yellow ink cartridge is nearly empty,

BUT on all test printings there are no  problems regarding yellow color

so what?! is this just to make me buy your stinking ink?

i want a working printer right now and that was your job guys !

Student
Message 5 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro K550 Driver Failure in 10.7.5 & mavericks

Hi all, I have an HP K550, connected via USB to Mac running 10.7.5, with all of the latest updates; as of a few months ago the printer no longer prints from the mac computer, it gets to 34% completed and then freezes. I can connect it, via usb, to a PC running windows 7 and it prints fine all day long. 

I read that perhaps it needed the newest OS (mavericks) so I tried it on a mac laptop (macbook pro) running mavericks and all of the latest updates and it still got to 34% and froze. I've tried uninstalling all printers and reinstalling, trying different usb locations and thus far nothing has worked.

It has stumped our in-house IT for 3+ weeks so hopefully someone can offer help before it is abondoned and replaced with a Canon printer.

Student
Message 6 of 8 (1,101 Views)

Has anyone found a soultion to this issue?

Tried updating firmware, removing and updating drivers, reseting the Mac print system. Nothing works.

Odd thing is that I have 10.6.8 and have used the printer for a few years on the latest driver (which seems to be for 10.5 on this volume type) and suddenly have the issue.

DO I have to upgrade the OS? It seems some 10.7 versions have the issue as well.

Student
Message 7 of 8 (488 Views)

maybe I am inexperienced but there is no update in your post and doing the Option FD does not work for me...

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (468 Views)

Hello, @ignominia

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help :)

What is OS version on your MAC? Alternatively, you can try and reset the printing system and re-add the printer.

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation