Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 did not print, but sent me a display message saying the Blue (Cyan) cartridge  needed to be replaced. I check the printer display to check for other ink levels. They were still OK (1/3 to 1/2 full). I replaced the Cyan cartridge & tried to print. Again another message display said I was out of yellow ink. I knew this was not the case, but sorely needed to use the printer. So I replaced the Yellow cartridge & tried to print. Once again the display came back & said I was out of black ink. 

Anyone know what the solution is to this problem? Now I am not sure if any of the cartridges needed to be replaced.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Beas2

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you get out of ink message on printer's control panel.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Close message on printer control panel and computer screen
Press OK on the printer control panel, or click OK on the computer screen to close the message and continue with the print job.
 NOTE:
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low-ink levels, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace cartridges until you are prompted to.
In general, low ink levels should not impact print quality. Your printer stops and displays a message when ink levels get too low. However, the printer might still perform a limited amount of printing in 'backup mode' at low ink levels. In backup mode, blacks might not be as dark, or printouts might be in grayscale (shades of gray with no color). Replace any low cartridges if backup mode printing is unacceptable.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot out of ink message.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr Robots recommended solution shown below did not work. I am considering reinstalling  a new print driver. Any other ideas out there?

HP Recommended

@Beas2, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

Please try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Please update the printer firmware using this link.

Also, It looks like black ink is low on your printer, you can click ok on the printer control panel and try printing.

If you are unable to please replace the black ink.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.